Using double the data in half the time switched from Sprint to Verizon. Not happy.
Juliemwills
Enthusiast - Level 2

First of all, I was with Verizon from my very first phone at age 18 until age 26, 8 years. I switched employers and my discount reduced dramatically, my grandfathered plan had unlimited data and of course VZ wants to get rid of those customers so they jacked my bill up. I could not afford it so I switched to a shared plan with my sister on Sprint. In the year and a half I was with them, I used an average of 1.5-1.9GB per month. One month I used 2.06GB but that was only one month. My last month with sprint I traveled 10 hours to Florida and back, 5 hours to Kentucky and back, both of which trips I used my Google Maps GPS. On top of that, for all 10 days of those travel days, I did not connect to wifi at all. The most data I ever used was again less than 2GB. I used snapchat, instagram constantly, literally taking video after video of the drive on the way to and from Florida on snapchat. I also had Google drive backing up my photos via both wifi and 3G/4G. I even used my FitRadio app and turned wifi off when at the gym for an hour a day every day because it connected better than the wifi. I never once had to think about whether I was connected to wifi or not, when to turn my data off, if I was running over, anything like that with Sprint. I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone at the time.

I switched to Verizon on Tuesday May 12th, I received my Samsung Galaxy S6 phone in the afternoon and turned it on for the first time around 3pm. I signed up for a 3GB plan knowing that should be well over what I need. On Friday I drove to the beach (4hours) but didn't even use my GPS. I connected to the beachouse wifi the entire time once there. On Sunday morning I got a notification that I had used 75% of my data already! I had to use my GPS to get back home and therefore felt worried about going over and added the $10 extra 1GB to make sure I could get home ok. I then went through all of the apps and put them on minimum data usage, turned Google drive photo backup, and app updates to only run when connected to wifi,and turned my data completely off at all times, unless I had an emergency need to use data when not at home, work, or the gym (all of which have wifi, keep in mind besides my car, these are literally where I am located at all times and connected to wifi). Since Sunday (we are now here on Friday), my phone shows another entire gig has been used! So I am over 3GB of data used right now, paid $10 extra to get me to 4GB and I am not even a full two weeks into service with Verizon.

I called Verizon customer service this morning to explain all of this. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with them that I should be at work but have no choice.

Their only options for me are as follows:

1. turn data off completely when connected to wifi because the phone will default tot he faster connection and therefore use data instead of wifi sometimes. 2. use the data calculator on their website 3. the phone is newer and therefore uses more data 4.sprint doesn't have good service so that is why it uses less data 5. they will give me 500GB of data for free for 1 year (this is not much if my data is going to be tripled from what it was and I am going to have to pay almost $200 for enough data 6. switch back to Sprint.

O and I was told when I agreed to sign up, that I had 30 days to change my mind and send back the phone for a $35 restocking fee. Today I am told it is really only 14 days and because Monday is a holiday and would normally be my 14th day, I would need to ship the phone out tomorrow in order to be able to cancel and only pay the $35 restocking fee. They called me back to tell me it is indeed 14 days not 30 like I was told and if I don't ship the phone back tomorrow, if I want to cancel I would have to pay the full ETF.

I absolutely call Bull on Verizon. How is it that I can use 30 hours of GPS, ten full day with no wifi, stream music for about an hour a day every day without wifi, use snapchat and instragram constantly and still come nowhere near 3GB on Sprint. But on Verizon while using my phone 1 week with data on but almost all day connected to wifi (besides in the car), 1 week with data turned off completely, used music and everything else on wifi, and one 4 hour drive of GPS and I am already over 3GB in less than 2 weeks.

Their explanation and options given to me are not sufficient. Verizon please come up with a better explanation and stop treating customers as if they don't matter. I understand that you have great coverage, but that does not give you the right to charge exorbitant amounts of money and claim triple the data that other carriers used. There is something inherently wrong with this. Consumers do have rights, and you are violating them.

I am sure you dealt with very similar issues regarding call minutes, text messages etc in the past when they were charged individually rather than just unlimited. Why didn't you learn that the consumers are happiest when they can use their device as needed without worrying about how much time they spent on it? We all look forward to the day that data is truly unlimited. How is it that the cable/phone companies do not have to charge by usage to home consumers, but mobile consumers do have to be charged that way. We need change and we need it now.

I fully expect a better response than what I have received so far Verizon...

Waiting on you, and remember I only have until tomorrow to ship my phone back and accept that Verizon is just not for me.

-Julie

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Using double the data in half the time switched from Sprint to Verizon. Not happy.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Juliemwillis,

Providing you with excellent customer service is the number one priority here at Verizon Wireless and we want your experiences with us to be a great one. It does concern us to hear that you feel this way about us so soon but we do want to address any concerns you may have. When signing up for new service you are given a billing cycle date which is how your first bill is calculated. You are not always given a bill cycle date that it 30 days away from your sign up date so it is usually possible that you will see prorated data amounts. When setting up new phones we see all the time that the customer tends to use more as they work to get their phone set up to their liking. This includes downloading apps, emails and pictures/music if saved in a cloud storage. Once the first billing cycle closes and the customer is no longer downloading data back to their phone then we start to see that the data stabilizes and should return to back what you were using on your previous phone. If you check your account when does it show that your billing cycle resets?

CandiceH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Re: Using double the data in half the time switched from Sprint to Verizon. Not happy.
Weth
Legend

What does the phone say what apps used the data? The higher data speeds can be a big factor. Make sure GPS is just straight vector maps and not Satellite maps. Set all your streaming apps to not use highest resolution/bitrate when not on wifi. It is not unusual doubling to tripling data use going from a slow network to a high speed network. I saw this with every phone moving to LTE. You can prove this to yourself by turning off LTE and only using 3G and you will see how much less data you use.

Bottom line is to look at what apps on the phone were using the data.

0 Likes
Juliemwills
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am using the same exact apps with the same exact usage. If you read my

entire post, when I was with Sprint, I used significantly higher data

options like 30 hours one month or more of GPS using google maps and fit

radio app streaming music and turning wifi off! Now I am doing everything

on the least usage setting, only updating etc on wifi, and am connected to

wifi at home, work, and the gym, and still using way more data with VZ than

when I was with Sprint.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I wish I could tell you an easy explanation, but I can't.  I use my Boost/Sprint LG Volt for personal use and my Verizon LG G2 for all else.  Running both without WiFi one month I saw my Verizon G2 run about 2 times the data as my Sprint Volt.  Now, to be fair, I was using the Volt mostly as I was comparing to make sure I wanted to switch from Verizon and the better G2.  My usage record is by no means scientific, but both were in residential and business areas near center of town where both had a great signal.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

But what you do not realize is that using the exact same apps with the exact same usage can and will use more data when data is supplied faster. You see that over and over going from 3G to 4G, going from a slow network like Sprint to a faster network like AT&T or Verizon. Turn off LTE and use only the slower 3G and you will see my point.

Snn5
Legend

This is true, when you have a better quality signal (Verizon is generally better than Sprint) you can access more data faster and also, some apps will use the best quality (think YouTube, Internet radio) that they can connect to.  So, if you have a strong LTE signal, YouTube will display videos at a higher video quality if set to automatic or "best" setting.  If YouTube locked onto a weak 3G signal, you might only get 480 as opposed to 1080 meaning a much larger file size.  Of course, the max resolution in this instance is dependent on the phone's display quality and as far as switching to 3G/CDMA only, most Verizon phones don't have that setting like Sprint phones do and allow LTE/CDMA use only.  (Global and GSM/UMTS aside)

Weth
Legend

Re: Turning LTE off - I don't have any android phones, so I did not realize this. On the iPhones we can turn LTE off and use only 3G. I have proven my point on data usage doing that on several occasions.

Snn5
Legend

This is all LG Lollipop users get anyway.

Screenshot_2015-05-22-14-48-42.png