Using a "foreign" phone on Verizon?
fishs

I was a verizon customer until I moved to Norway several months ago. I have a droid3 global which needs to be replaced, but it has served me well as I was able to use it on verizon BEFORE i moved, and now that I am abroad I could simply use a norwegian sim card. However I need to buy a new phone NOW, and I want to be able to use it when I come back to the US on verizon. I have been looking at phones like the Samsung Galaxy III or similar, phones that we do have in the US. Will I be able to use a phone that I have purchased abroad on an American network? I know that while some phones in the US do have sim cards, they do not use them to connect to the network, only as a global feature. Any thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Using a "foreign" phone on Verizon?
Spiral
Master - Level 1

fishs wrote:

I was a verizon customer until I moved to Norway several months ago. I have a droid3 global which needs to be replaced, but it has served me well as I was able to use it on verizon BEFORE i moved, and now that I am abroad I could simply use a norwegian sim card. However I need to buy a new phone NOW, and I want to be able to use it when I come back to the US on verizon. I have been looking at phones like the Samsung Galaxy III or similar, phones that we do have in the US. Will I be able to use a phone that I have purchased abroad on an American network? I know that while some phones in the US do have sim cards, they do not use them to connect to the network, only as a global feature. Any thoughts?

You will not be able to activate a European phone on the Verizon network.  In fact, only Verizon "branded" phones are allowed to be activated on the Verizon network. 

That being said,  both T-Mobile and AT&T are GSM type carriers (using SIM cards) and do allow phones from other networks to be activated on their networks.  The key is to insure the phone you have matches the frequency of signal the carrier supports.  See each carriers sites for more info.

Good luck.

0 Likes
Re: Using a "foreign" phone on Verizon?
fishs

Thank you! I wasn't sure if this was just misinformation as I did find that AT&T seemed to be okay with accepting non-AT&T phones.

0 Likes