Using a legacy unlimited data plan?
KARBOY85

I have a legacy unlimited plan that I kept to use once I purchased an RV. I now have that RV and I want to stream netflix while on the road.  I tried Miracast and it does not work.   Any ideas.  The current plans would be fine for doing secure banking, but movies take up the band width.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Using a legacy unlimited data plan?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KARBOY85,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience with ising your unlimited data while on the road. Let's figure out what 's gong on. Are you able to use the netfolix.com broser to access this, or no? What error message are you getting?

ChristinaB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
KARBOY85

It isn't Verizon's fault that I don't know how to do things.  I never had a need to utilize my plan until now.   First off, I need to perform banking online while away. I utilize the apps for both Wells Fargo and Chase.  I manage my mother's account too; thus, the two different banks.  I find it easier to bank with my laptop than my phone. Sometimes I cannot find all of the options on the app that I can easily find with my computer so I would like to connect the computer and phone together with a tether.  I have no desire to go with a wifi hotspot because I have security concerns.  Also, I never use a public wifi for the same reason.  My first question is any tips on tethering my Motorola Droid Turbo to a Windows 10 laptop?

I've read somewhere on the internet that I will have to pay a fee to do this. How much is this fee and what is it called??  Every time I call customer service all I get is a sale pitch to buy a new "unlimited plan" which I don't want.  The last time I called the sales lady said I could do everything I wanted with a 22 gigabyte plan.  She failed to tell me that they have a 10 GB limit on tethering and once you hit the limit you are not just slowed down but shut down until the end of the current billing cycle.   This is totally unacceptable.

Once I have my laptop connected I could just stream with it and plug the tv's hdmi port to the laptops hdmi's port.  However,  I would prefer to stream straight from the phone if possible.   Like I said in my first post, I tired miracast but I couln't get the phone connected to the miracast dongle.

Thanks

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The mobile hotspot feature is $30 per month on top of the unlimited smartphone data plan feature cost. This is for the Nationwide Plan.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
KARBOY85

The term hotspot to me means a wifi hot spot.  Do I need to pay this fee if I'm tethering?  Also, I used netfilix as an example.  At the moment I'm trying out amazon prime and it does work.  I have even downloaded movies from amazon.  They play on the phone but I cannot get miracast to work.  How about Chrome cast?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is required for USB tethering too.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
KARBOY85

I've heard legacy data plans are limited to 100gb per month.  Is this correct?   Also, are you dropped immediatly if you go over 100gb in a single month or do they do a running multi-month average?  If yes to the multi-month average, what is the formula?.  

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, Verizon Wireless has been known to send out warning letters to certain customers who use the network in an excessive manner. I don't know what the formula is to determine whether or not customer is a data usage "abuser", but the previous stories I have read on this community indicate that Verizon Wireless appears to look at the past 6 months of usage and if they average over 100 GB per month, the customer is warned to switch to a tiered data plan or switch to another carrier or risk having their account canceled by a date noted in the letter.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KARBOY85, I definitely know how convenient it is to wirelessly stream content from your device to your television, as well as sharing your data connection to your Windows laptop. Ann154 provided a great tip by utilizing your phones mobile hotspot capability to share your internet connection with your laptop. This also lets you use the tethering capability as well to share the connection by utilizing the USB cable from your phone to your laptop. The plan is indeed $30.00, as Ann154 mentioned, for the mobile hotspot feature on our older grandfathered/legacy unlimited plan. The hotspot plan can be added and removed as needed.

Miracast is mentioned as a supported item through Motorola's site: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/indevice_detail/a_id/102392/p/30,6720,9277  but I understand that this isn't working well for you. Chromecast is indeed another option that may also fit your needs via its mirroring capability. At the least, you do have the option to use the HDMI out from your laptop, but I would still give Chromecast a shot to see how you like it.

Keep us posted with your experience!

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes