Upgrading phone but keeping unlimited data
jlcpremier

I have seen numerous posts on here, just curious if this scenario will work.

I'm currently on a Nationwide Talk & Text Share 1400 Plan with 2 lines.

One line is a basic phone with no data (line 1) while the other is my line with an iPhone 4 and unlimited data (line 2)

Can I buy the iPhone 5s at the subsidized price on line 1, then transfer that line to line 2 while keeping my original number? and then can I take the basic phone transferred to my line and transfer it back to line 1 and drop the data package? so essentially I've upgraded my phone, while keeping the first line the same, but just signing an additional 2 year contract on the first line

Or if I bought a phone on ebay could it then be activated on line 1 with just a basic plan while being able to upgrade the phone on line 2 per the steps above?

Appreciate the help. Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Upgrading phone but keeping unlimited data
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are numerous threads about this on this forum.  The easiest thing to do is upgrade Line 1, activate the new phone on Line 1 to accept the Terms and Conditions, then move the new phone to Line 2.  You'll probably need a new SIM card when moving the phone to Line 2, but they're free at your local Corporate Verizon store.  The data plan should then drop automatically off Line 1 when you put the basic phone back on it, but I'd check via MyVerizon to double-check if it were me (if the data plan doesn't drop off, you can remove it via MyVerizon or call Customer Service).  Line 1 has a new two-year contract, and Line 2's plan is unchanged.  The phone's warranty may or may not transfer toLine 2.

If you buy a buy off ebay, swappa, or anywhere that doesn't require signing a new two-year contract, it can be placed on either line without affecting your plan, although, obviously a smartphone added to Line 1 will add a 2GB ($30) data plan to the line.

0 Likes