Upgrade "DATA PLAN "
deeaal

It is time to upgrade my sons phone on the first of next month. I upgraded mine before the data plan change at Christmas, and used my upgrade for him to have the Envy 3 for Christmas. I was told at that time I could then use his upgrade for me. Will I get charged the new data charge on his line if I use his upgrade, I have the VCAST-VPACK ( $15.00 a month a very old unlimited data plan)  on my line but have everything blocked on his. And his phone works perfectly well with the internet blocked on the ENVY 3. We also have unlimited texting and his picture texting is not effected by having the internet blocked.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Upgrade "DATA PLAN "
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

deeaal wrote:

It is time to upgrade my sons phone on the first of next month. I upgraded mine before the data plan change at Christmas, and used my upgrade for him to have the Envy 3 for Christmas. I was told at that time I could then use his upgrade for me. Will I get charged the new data charge on his line if I use his upgrade, I have the VCAST-VPACK ( $15.00 a month a very old unlimited data plan)  on my line but have everything blocked on his. And his phone works perfectly well with the internet blocked on the ENVY 3. We also have unlimited texting and his picture texting is not effected by having the internet blocked.

First, let me preface this by saying I do NOT work for Verizon, and do not speak for them in any way...I am a customer, like you, and am here just trying to help.

I have asked this question a few times, to several people, Verizon employees included!, and I'm still waiting for a definitive answer from a customer who has a bill with or without the data charge, so I can KNOW for sure!  As far as I can determine, when you upgrade your phone, the VCast-VPAK will be gone, no longer available.  Depending on the phone you get, YOU may be required to have the $9.99 data plan, but your son's line should not be affected.

I would be interested to know what happens here - what your bill shows after the upgrade.  Did the data get added to his line as well?  It SHOULDN'T, but that doesn't mean it won't be.

**Additional information, just received from nmchileman, a very knowledgeable customer who is also very active on these boards....

As long as the phone number being upgraded isn't one of the lines that have the $1.99/MB feature, then no change to the data plan on those three lines will be needed. An upgrade and activation can be done on one line and it will not affect the other lines on the account.

The only time it would affect one of the lines with the PAYG feature is it's an alternate MDN upgrade. (And this is your situation, exactly....) So, it the line that has the PAYG feature is eligible but the customer wants to use it on his Blackberry line instead (or other phone with a data plan), then in some cases it will cause a temporary deactivation of the current device (with PAYG), temp activation of Android (or other phone with data plan) then reactivation of previous 3G multimedia device (with PAYG) causes it to fall under the new data plan rules.

However, that type of scenario can be prevented if a customer service rep does the alternate MDN upgrade correctly. While processing an order, CS does have the ability to have the new device automatically activate on the line where it's going to be used. This prevents the 3G multimedia device from being deactivated then reactivated and forcing the data plan.

Many CS reps aren't aware of this ability within their system (new, apathy, or lack of training) so I can see this scenario to cause a lot of conflicting information to be given.

HTH,

0 Likes
deeaal

Thanks for the help, I guess I will have too wait and go into the store to find out exactly what will happen. If they try to charge data plan I will just keep my phone or buy one on eBay, at Christmas when I upgraded my phone and activated on my sons line I was able to keep VCAST-VPACK so I have a contract for it for two years so I will do whatever I can to keep it. You can't beat $15.00 a month for unlimited internet, just would like a new phone. Thanks for the help. I keep you posted on what they do

0 Likes
deeaal

I just upgraded and was able to use my sons upgrade on my phone without it effecting his phone and without adding the data plan. I did have to go into a Verizon store and they bypassed his phone by actually activating it on my line. Hopefully all works well, I have not received a bill but on my Verizon it still says pay as you go $ 1.99 data on his phone.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks for the update...let us know what your bill looks like!!!  Are you still paying for the $15 Vcast?

0 Likes
deeaal

Yes, I am paying the $15 VCAST-VPACK, BECAUSE IN NOVEMBER WHEN I USED MY UPGRADE FOR MY SONS PHONE I HAD TO GO TO NATIONAL CALLING PLAN. (Sorry about caps) That was before they eliminated VCAST-VPACK so when I used his upgrade for me I was grandfathered in and was allowed to keep it because I made no change to calling plan. I just received my bill and everything was right, $15 VCAST for my phone and pay as you go on my sons which I keep blocked.

0 Likes