Upgrade denied: The device doesnt match the device ID on your original monthly device payment agreement.
Latitude42
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had an iPhone 4S for what seems like forever. A while ago, there was some kind of shuffle in which I transferred my upgrade rights to a family member, and my iPhone 4S went onto a device payment agreement (even though the iPhone 4S certainly was not new at the time.)  Supposedly, I would be able to turn it in for something newer when I reached 75% payback. Hurrah! I finally reached 75% payback when I paid my most recent bill, and the website said I had reached the threshold. But now... when I try to upgrade, I get this message:

Upgrade denied: The device xxx-xxx-xxxx doesn't match the device ID on your original monthly device payment agreement.

and then there is more language saying I'll have to reactivate the original phone, or pay the remaining 25%. This isn't right. What I am supposed to do?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrade denied: The device doesnt match the device ID on your original monthly device payment agreement.
rcschnoor
Legend

Latitude42 wrote:

I've had an iPhone 4S for what seems like forever. A while ago, there was some kind of shuffle in which I transferred my upgrade rights to a family member, and my iPhone 4S went onto a device payment agreement (even though the iPhone 4S certainly was not new at the time.) Supposedly, I would be able to turn it in for something newer when I reached 75% payback. Hurrah!

Your iPhone 4S did not go into a device payment agreement, the phone your family member purchased entered into that agreement. Unfortunately, the agreement stays with the line the upgrade originally came from, regardless which phone is actually active on that line.

In order to upgrade at 75% payback, you will need to turn in the phone purchased when entering into that agreement, which is the phone held by your family member. Of course, that family member MAY be eligible for an upgrade now, too. If they are, you could ask for your phone back, you would be able to return it and upgrade. Your family member would be able to upgrade too, if they currently have an available upgrade on their like now. Just make sure the phone you return is in good working condition without any physical damage or else you will end up owing the remaining 25% balance on that device after it is inspected.

Problems always seem to arise when you transfer your upgrade to someone else because many people do not realize that they are putting THEIR line in an agreement when doing so, not the person actually using the upgrade.

View solution in original post

Re: Upgrade denied: The device doesnt match the device ID on your original monthly device payment agreement.
Weth
Legend

Verizon is wanting the device that was bought when you transferred the upgrade, not an old 4S. You would have to trade in the newer device if you want to upgrade now. Finish paying off the device that was bought with your transferred upgrade and then you can get your upgrade back on your line.

rcschnoor
Legend

Latitude42 wrote:

I've had an iPhone 4S for what seems like forever. A while ago, there was some kind of shuffle in which I transferred my upgrade rights to a family member, and my iPhone 4S went onto a device payment agreement (even though the iPhone 4S certainly was not new at the time.) Supposedly, I would be able to turn it in for something newer when I reached 75% payback. Hurrah!

Your iPhone 4S did not go into a device payment agreement, the phone your family member purchased entered into that agreement. Unfortunately, the agreement stays with the line the upgrade originally came from, regardless which phone is actually active on that line.

In order to upgrade at 75% payback, you will need to turn in the phone purchased when entering into that agreement, which is the phone held by your family member. Of course, that family member MAY be eligible for an upgrade now, too. If they are, you could ask for your phone back, you would be able to return it and upgrade. Your family member would be able to upgrade too, if they currently have an available upgrade on their like now. Just make sure the phone you return is in good working condition without any physical damage or else you will end up owing the remaining 25% balance on that device after it is inspected.

Problems always seem to arise when you transfer your upgrade to someone else because many people do not realize that they are putting THEIR line in an agreement when doing so, not the person actually using the upgrade.

Latitude42
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the replies. I do understand the explanation you are giving me (i.e., the phone was a party to an upgrade rights swap and that is what is wrong).

The thing is... Verizon HAS, repeat HAS,  been saying to me since 2015, I could do this upgrade when I got to 18 month/75% threshold on the device payment agreement on the 4S. It's been 18 months, I've paid in the 75%. But I just got off the phone with Verizon, and they said it is true only if I send in my daughter's 5S in trade... not my 4S. This has all been evasive mealy-mouthing on the part of Verizon.

0 Likes
Latitude42
Enthusiast - Level 2

And, it really is the old 4S that is listed as being under device payment agreement.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

How?!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You were not paying off your 4S, that is where you get confused.  Payments were always for the 5S, as paperwork will show.  The DPP was on your line, but the phone you bought on your line was used on your daughters line.  Payments stay on your line. You don't really transfer an upgrade, you just use the phone obtained by the upgrade on a different line. 

0 Likes
Latitude42
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK. One account, two phones, a 4S and a 5S. A long time ago I did the upgrade rights switch to make it possible to get the 5S. The two phones show up under My Devices.So here is what the website has been saying about the 4S. This is taken two minutes ago, cut-and-paste:

"This device was purchased under a Device Payment Agreement. This agreement allows you to upgrade after paying 75% of the total amount due under your agreement

Paid to Date: 75% "

Now, I suppose it was unreasonable for me to bluster "mealy mouthed"on the forum. However, I've been looking at these words for several months and I also had the nearby Verizon store explain it to me. I did provide the telephone number at the Verizon store, and I wasn't told something like "subject to surrender of the 5S since in reality you are paying for that through your 4S."

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

But you knew you purchased the 5S not the 4S with the DPP...  Thinking the DPP was on the 4S just didn't make sense. 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Latitude42 wrote:

OK. One account, two phones, a 4S and a 5S. A long time ago I did the upgrade rights switch to make it possible to get the 5S. The two phones show up under My Devices.So here is what the website has been saying about the 4S. This is taken two minutes ago, cut-and-paste:

"This device was purchased under a Device Payment Agreement. This agreement allows you to upgrade after paying 75% of the total amount due under your agreement

Paid to Date: 75% "

That "cut and paste" says nothing about the 4S, it only says "this". The fact remains that you DID purchase the 5S and you ALREADY had the 4S. IF, as you claim, you are making the payments on the 4S then Verizon has every right to demand you START making payments on the 5S since you have made 0 payments on it yet.

So, with YOUR arguments that your current payments are going towards the 4S and that Verizon lets you send THAT phone in for your upgrade, IF Verizon allowed you to do that they could THEN expect you to make payments on your NEW phone AND also START making payments on the 5S since according to YOU, you have not yet made any of those payments. Seems like a silly thing to be arguing.

Bottom line, look in the receipts of your MyVerizon account. There will be a DPP agreem ent from when you purchased the 5S. That agreement will list the phone associated with the agreement.

Or you can continue to argue that the phone you ALREADY owned was the phone for which you were making payments. I know I certainly wouldn't be making payments on a phone I ALREADY owned when I knew I still owed on a phone I just purchased.