Re: Upgrade Fee?!
Not applicable

j337usa wrote:

If your afraid to put your real name up on the screen please keep your advice to yourself contributor since December 2013. 

So j337usa is you real name? That is the name on your driver's license and SS card? Sorry the truth hurts. 2+2=4 no matter how much you want it to equal 5.

jayvan
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's an activation fee.  Completely different from the $30 upgrade fee that was being discussed.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Sure they can if that person wants to go through all the hassle of filing in small claims court. Of course that means NO LAWYERS. You have to do all the work yourself. IS it rally worth all the hassle to do that? Especially for a case you are 99% chance of losing.

0 Likes
Not applicable

You like to always champion Verizon Wireless? For the record I have over the years taken car dealers to small claims and won, I have taken utility companies in the court and won. I have not lost yet in four filings. You don't go to court unless you have the documents to prove your case. With proper documentation a judge will side with the plaintiff.

It is a known fact that arbitration cases usually are sided with the companies that pay their costs. I have represented people in arbitration and when the costs associated are split evenly I have won more than I have lost. But I gather the information and the files and such before I arrive. And you don't have to be an attorney to be an advocate.

Verizon when hit with a summons will call and settle, it takes them much more effort to come to court and expense. However most normal customers would not file such court claims if they felt they were not in the right.

Your statement of them losing is just pure spin to frighten the customer from going to court. However I don't scare that easy since I have worked with judges and court clerks for 34 years. You just get a feel after awhile for how the case will conclude.

A person could lose, that is the risk. But if you have your proof Verizon or any company will lose.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon Wireless started charging their upgrade fee in April of 2012.  It's 2014 now so get over it!

chrisf86571
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'll agree that it's been out for awhile, and people need to do their research, OR ask for the itimzed total WHEN they sign a contract.

However, I will at least state an "upgrade fee", no matter if it's Verizon, AT&T, etc. isn't right. It's mostly another way to ring more profit out of the customer. Keeping your business with a company should not cause you to be charged more.

When you factor in all the costs, Verizon STILL comes out on top with major profit (along with the Device manufacturer - phones don't cost anywhere near $600+ to build and sell) if the customer fullfills the 2 year contract. So why charge an upgrade fee? If someone wants Workshops for learning the device, charge it there and not to people who don't use it.

Not applicable

You know I liked how you wrote your post.

I was just thinking, I read last year companies like GE, AT&T and Verizon paid Zero Taxes. Yet each customer has been hit with State, Local, City taxes and franchise fees. There is also a line on there for some sort of cost recovery for taxes paid by verizon. They paid no taxes, why would they need cost recovery fees just to collect or pay taxes? Very strange.

You will also note that Administrative Fees on your invoice. That is pure profit. If they increase the fees by a Pennie per customer per month, it is huge profits. Think about it.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Not applicable

I've heard they're waiving the upgrade fee for some people who don't have smartphones yet and get one.

0 Likes