Upgrade Fee?!
sandiegodad
Enthusiast - Level 1

What matters in life are relationships.  Apparently, Version Wireless has the notion that the longer a customer stays with them, devoted customers should incur additional expenses, such as a $30.00 "upgrade fee."  Most relationship I have been in, look for ways to improve the relationship, make circumstances more enjoyable, and add something that keeps you wanting to come back.  But, not Version.  Very disappointing, that after being with the company since it was Airtouch, over one decade ago, Verizon choose to reward this longtime relationship, and many people who use their service with what is now called an "upgrade fee."  Poor business decision, from my perspective.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
Re: Upgrade Fee?!
koocamunga
Enthusiast - Level 3

Woooooow....this thread again, let me be the first to tell you this is not that new anymore and has been discussed many times on this site, the upgrade fee assessed with the purchase of a new device at the two-year contract price is a valid charge. It is now charged by verizon and is charged by many other companies including AT&T/Sprint and in fact Verizon is the last service provider to adopt this charge so if you're thinking of jumping ship just beware this is not the last you will see of this fee. Just consider this, would you rather pay 200.00+30.00 for the IPHONE 5S on an upgrade or 649.99+tax for the full retail device? When you look at the upgrade fee you also have to look at how much Verizon discounts the device  verizon sells most devices at a 450.00+ discount even with a 30.00 upgrade fee and an etf amt if you were to disconnect your line now you still would not have paid full retail for it 199.99+30+350=579.99, this upgrade fee not only compensates for some of the loss on the price of the device but providing classes in stores for new/old customers who need assistance with new smartphones and for helping to upgrade towers that we all require, Personally I have upgraded three of my lines this year and paid this fee on all of them and hold no ill will towards Verizon for it.

0 Likes
sandiegodad
Enthusiast - Level 1

Some broader perspective may be in order:

• Dodging Verizon's New $30 Upgrade Fee (MarketWatch.com) - "Verizon's excuse for adding the charge is pretty rich."

• Get Out of Verizon's (and Other Carrier's) New $30 Upgrade Fee (LifeHacker.com)

• Verizon Profit Rises 40% as Wireless Gains - NYTimes.com - "Verizon reported a third-quarter profit of $2.23 billion, or 78 cents a share, compared with $1.59 billion, or 56 cents a share, a year earlier."

0 Likes
sandiegodad
Enthusiast - Level 1
  • Verizon and AT&T grow fatter in America as mobile prices plunge in Europe - "American consumers are sleepwalking into being permanently locked to ever-rising phone bills from monolithic incumbents" (BGR.com).
  • In Verizon’s Monopoly Game, we all lose (UnitedNY.org)
0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

San Diego Dad wrote:

What matters in life are relationships.  Apparrelationshipsion Wireless has the notion that the longer a customer stays with them, devoted customers should incur additional expenses, such as a $30.00 "upgrade fee."  Most relationship I have been in, look for ways to improve the relationship, make circumstances more enjoyable, and add something that keeps you wanting to come back.  But, not Version.  Very disappointing, that after being with the company since it was Airtouch, over one decade ago, Verizon choose to reward this longtime relationship, and many people who use their service with what is now called an "upgrade fee."  Poor business decision, from my perspective.

What matters is relationships....huh? Lets look at this:

Ive had a relationship with Sunoco Gas, Nissan, Wendys, my wife, etc for years. Gas prices have risen. We keep buying gas. Car prices have risen. Keep buying them - advanced they are. Burgers have gone up - gotta eat. The price of date nights gone up - havent tossed the wife.

20 to 30 years ago, computers took up huge spaces in buildings and rooms. Now you can have in the ppalm of your hand. And the prices have dropped!!!! Customer denand. But on the flip side you pay a lil more for the service and to upgrade....but its still better and cheaper than years past.

What therefore are you complaining about??!!!

harvardale

Verizon is the most expensive service out there.  If you want to be successful as a business long-term, you don't add an upgrade fee just because everyone else is doing it.  Look at T-Mobile, they have changed their business plan by thinking outside of the box, and they are growing because of it.  Verizon will struggle in the long run by just following the crowd.  I agree that you shouldn't  charge loyal customers a $30 upgrade fee, I would rather them just add it to the cost of the device itself rather than hide fees to make easy money.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

harvardale wrote:

Verizon is the most expensive service out there.  If you want to be successful as a business long-term, you don't add an upgrade fee just because everyone else is doing it.  Look at T-Mobile, they have changed their business plan by thinking outside of the box, and they are growing because of it.  Verizon will struggle in the long run by just following the crowd.  I agree that you shouldn't  charge loyal customers a $30 upgrade fee, I would rather them just add it to the cost of the device itself rather than hide fees to make easy money.

Whether the 30 dollars is added to the cost of the phone or its itemized separately as a fee, its still 30 dollars in their bottom line. And despite their higher prices honda toyota are still the best. Yeah hyundai is catching up or good but they will never surpass the best. Verizon has the network and can charge what they want. Just lime 30 bucks can give the connotation of being unwise, not charging it or having cheaper service gives the connotation of being not as good.

0 Likes
harvardale

I would disagree that Verizon has the best network.  Yes, they may have the best x1 service, but they don't have the best data service anymore.  Over the past year, I have experienced a higher number of dropped calls, longer texting times, and slower LTE speeds (slower than AT&T or T-Mobile 3g speeds).  What is the point of the vast LTE coverage if it is only slightly faster than 3g?  A good friend of mine who has AT&T has seen a significant jump in network/service quality over the past few years.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

harvardale wrote:

Sprint and AT&T both have a higher upgrade fee and have them for much longer than Verizon Wireless. T-Mobile used to have an upgrade fee, but now you have to pay full price for the phones on their network. If you wanted to avoid the upgrade fee on Verizon Wireless, you can buy full retail price either up front or through the Device Payment Plan. It's your choice to choose the best course for you and your family.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Yes. Your disapproval has been duly noted on all the threads you have posted on today. Enjoy your service wherever you land.