Re: Unlimited data
Not applicable

You have 3 lines of service.  Only one of them has a grandfathered unlimited data plan.  One has a basic phone with NO DATA PLAN.  The third has a smartphone with a 2GB data plan.  You do not have 2 unlimited data plans.

You only have 1 line of service eligible for a subsidized upgrade.  That is the same line of service that has the unlimited data plan.  If you use that upgrade to purchase a subsidized phone and sign a new 2 year contract, you will lose the unlimited data plan.  If you use that upgrade for another line of service, you will still lose your unlimited data plan.

If you want to keep your unlimited data plan, you must wait until one of your other 2 lines is eligible for an upgrade and then move the new phone to the line with unlimited data.  Or, you can pay full retail price for a new phone or buy a new or used phone on Ebay or somewhere similiar.  You could also add a 4th line of service and purchase a new phone and move it to your unlimited line.  Then, you could put a basic phone on the 4th line and drop the data plan.

Those are your options.

Not applicable

If your line of service with the basic phone is now eligible for an upgrade, then yes, you can purchase a subsidized smartphone on that line of service and move the phone to your unlimited line.  You would then put the basic phone back on it's line of service with no data plan.

You can never use the upgrade that is currently available on your unlimited data line or you will lose your unlimited data.

androiduser123
Contributor - Level 1

How in the world do you know what she has on her basic phone line? Basic phones can have data plans. And by the way. Verizon used to have an unlimited data plan for basic phones. So it's very possible she has this. She told you she had a data plan on her basic phone and you are calling her a liar. I am hoping she knows what she has on her account, and I believe that she has a data plan on her basic phone.

Not applicable

I don't think a basic phone can have the same grandfathered, unlimited data that a smartphone would need and this is what we're talking about.  I guess I could be wrong, but I don't think so.  It's moot anyway because the OP is talking about using the basic line to order a subsidized phone.

0 Likes
Helene057

I have 4 phones, 3 basic, 1droid which uses data. Line 1, Line 2 and Line 3 are open for an upgrade. the droid is line 3 , want to upgrade to an iphone on 3 but when I try and do it online, it keeps telling me that there is no more unlimited data plan. ? Then I am reading all these posts from everyone about grandfathered clause, which is what I thought when Verizon changed their stuff but they make no mention of any of that when I speak to them.

0 Likes
anonymouslurker
Contributor - Level 1

If you have unlimited data you can not take a discounted upgrade or extend you contract or you lose unlimited data. This policy went in effect June 28th 2012. If you want a discounted upgrade what you can do is upgrade one of the basic lines to a smartphone then switch that phone back to a basic phone( don't forget to cancel the data plan after switching back ) then swap that smartphone with your current one. Or you can simply pay full price for the phone and keep your unlimited data

0 Likes
Not applicable

The grandfathered, unlimited data plan is gone as of 6/28/2012 if you purchase a new subsidized phone from Verizon and sign a new 2 year contract.  If you want to keep your unlimited data (for now anyway), you can pay full retail price for your new phone or buy it on Ebay or somewhere such as that.  You can also buy a subsidized smartphone on one of your other lines then move the new phone to your unlimited line and put the basic phone back on that line.  The line with the basic phone will be obligated for another 2 years due to signing a new contract.  Also, don't forget you will have to pay a $30 upgrade fee that went into effect over a year ago.

0 Likes