Unlimited data is a fraud!
Rfid

So, I'm an unlimited data user, and I've come to find out I've been throttled down you'll 22kb/ second.  According to verizon's executive customer service, this is to urge me to not use more than 2GB a month.  I can understand some throttling of heavy users, but slower than dialup?  Really?  And to make matters worse, verizon never bothered to tell me, warn me, anything.  Instead, they tell me to use lrss than 2GB per month, or switch to a tiered plan!  This is a joke, vzw.    To add insukt to injury, vzw has offered free 4g devices to "heavy" unlimited 3g users, but not in my area.  Thanks a lot. In the course of a year, it took 6 months to get a phone that actually worked, I still can't use my voicemail. One year in, and I have yet to get the features I have paid for.  I'm done verizon.  I'm over this, I'm over this business model.  There was recently a lawsuit against at&t , for throttling.  The plaintiff was rooted and tethering, and still won.  I'm neither.  Verizon refuses to honor the unlimited data plan I purchased, and am under contract with, even though there are 3g users that use more data than me, and are not throttled.  I urge any unlimited data user who is being throttled to do the same, as verizon is in breach of contact with us.    Btw, Sprint does not throttle, so long as you are not spamming, tethering, or using as much data as a server farm.      Guess who is getting my business?  Numerous chances to save my business, numerous refusals to do so.  Bye.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Unlimited data is a fraud!
Tidbits
Legend

FYI the throttling was LEGAL in that lawsuit.  What AT&T loss was the fact they throttled at a lower rate than their lowest tiered data plan.  So their throttle is now 3GB instead of 2.

Sprint does throttle you, and you just don't notice it because they do it before you sign that contract.  They also throttle their 3G users at 5GB of use and their 4G users do get throttled if you end up on a Clear tower and not a Sprint tower, or if you are roaming.  It's all smoke screens, and marketing.

Good luck with the "breach of contract".  It's actually in the contract, and all carriers have it in there about throttling...  It's been there since 2000 for all carriers, and some started as early as 1997 iirc.

Rfid

Po

And vzw offers 4GB  for the same price as 2.  On top of this, thee is a beach of contract, had you read further.  Verizon has not provided me with voicemail or consistent text messaging fire over a year, across 7 phones (who so many is another nightmare story altogether).  I'd be ok with the throttle, but 22 kb/ second is a little ludicrous.  The point is, I'm a year in on an endless nightmare vzw refuses to fix.  I don't want anything for free, just what I paid for. A phones that works (took 6 months), voicemail that works (no luck there), and text messaging that works (again, no luck).  The slower than dialup throttle is just the la wst nail in the coffin.   I've made it all the way up the customer service food chain, and not a single person seems to care that I do not have access to these services, instead I'm told to switch to tiered data, and buy a new phone, and hope my voicemail and text messaging works.  That is really the issue at hand, is the blatant disregard for actual valid issues with my service.  To top it off, there are people who use much more 3g data than me, who I can stand right next to in the same room, yet they do not get throttled like I am.  How can that be?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Rfid wrote:

Po

And vzw offers 4GB  for the same price as 2.  On top of this, thee is a beach of contract, had you read further.  Verizon has not provided me with voicemail or consistent text messaging fire over a year, across 7 phones (who so many is another nightmare story altogether).  I'd be ok with the throttle, but 22 kb/ second is a little ludicrous.  The point is, I'm a year in on an endless nightmare vzw refuses to fix.  I don't want anything for free, just what I paid for. A phones that works (took 6 months), voicemail that works (no luck there), and text messaging that works (again, no luck).  The slower than dialup throttle is just the la wst nail in the coffin.   I've made it all the way up the customer service food chain, and not a single person seems to care that I do not have access to these services, instead I'm told to switch to tiered data, and buy a new phone, and hope my voicemail and text messaging works.  That is really the issue at hand, is the blatant disregard for actual valid issues with my service.  To top it off, there are people who use much more 3g data than me, who I can stand right next to in the same room, yet they do not get throttled like I am.  How can that be?

There's a difference...  Their 4GB of data is a PROMOTIONAL offer, and not a FIXED offer.  Smiley Happy   It's based on network load, and not a fixed amount when they do throttle you.  You could be at 10GB and if congestion is high they'll throttle the top users.  If congestion is low then you will have normal speeds.

0 Likes
Rfid

Once again, only part of the issues here, but even at 4 am, I get dialup

speeds since the throttle. Not even 2g s4 peed.

And yet again, no resolution about any if my other issues. If vzw wanted to

see me use less data, they would fix my voicemail and text messages issues,

so I could use these services. Its been over a year, I'm tired of asking

to have them fixed.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Perhaps you should read the Network Optimization policy. http://m-support.verizonwireless.com/information/data_disclosure.html

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Rfid

I have read it. Many times. I wouldn't mind it, if the "optimization"

worked as advertised, and other unlimited users on the same tower were

"optimized" as well.

Yet again, just a small part of my issues.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Could it just possibly... You are not being throttled and there is something wrong with your radio???

0 Likes
Rfid

Across 7 different devices? Highly improbable. Verizpn even suggested that

one eben my voicemail amass dms stopped working correctly, over a year

ago. Once this week, o broke 1Mb/second, so it's not the phone. Its this

vague throttling policy that punishes users like me who average about 4 to

5 GB a month, while even heavier 3g users get no throttle whatsoever, on

the same tower. I have gone through all of these scenarios multiple times,

and I really wish it was just an issue with my radio.

0 Likes
Warmouse

Here is my story as I have already posted it elsewhere on this board.   The customer service is very poor at best and while I have really only had two problems, they were both handled extremely poorly.  The bigger one concerns my "unlimited data package".  Yes I know they don't offer it anymore, but if you do have it, know that they will most likely take it away from you.  I travel for the Army a lot and while in GA I broke my phone.  I got a new one and Verizon switched my account from an Unlimited plan to a 2 gig plan after I was assure repeatedly that I would get to keep my Unlimited plan.  I did not have easy access to the internet to verify my account status, and why should I have to?  So when I got home and the bill was huge I checked and sure enough 2 gig.  So when I called to have them fix it I was told I would be contacted in 48 hours about my request.  That was in late January or early February.  I called them 5 more times before I finally had someone call me back to tell me I had waited too long to complain and that my request could not be granted.  Each time I called they told me 48 hours and the issue would be resolved and they would call and let me know.  I spoke with them today and was told, "Well it is in your contract that Verizon can change your plan at any time and without your consent."

To all those that have an unlimited plan grandfathered in;  Do NOT let them lie to you.  If your plan is changed for any reason you do NOT have 60 days to correct the issue like they will tell you.  You actually ONLY HAVE 14 days to find the problem and report it, otherwise it has to go to a review board for approval.  You will NOT be approved for reinstatement.  So I guess you are left with checking your account once a week to make sure it is order.  I wish I would have had that option while doing my part to serve.  But I guess I got what I deserved.

0 Likes