Unlimited Data Plan Issue
Jscarbor

Hi,

I got my iPhone 4 the day it was released for Verizon, so I was Grandfathered into the unlimited data plan. Yesterday my phone was not working properly, and while it was being fixed I didn't want to be without a phone while at work for the day, so I activated an extra phone we had laying around. 

I actually hadn't realized that Verizon had done away with the unlimited data plan (stupid), or I wouldn't have done this. When I went to activate my fixed iPhone I realized that I was not able to sign up for unlimited data. I called Verizon and the rep tried to fix it, but she was unsuccessful. She put in a request to have my unlimited data plan returned to my number. She said it would take 7-10 business days to get a response.

I am wondering if anyone has ever had this problem and I am wondering what their outcome was.

I am so mad at myself! How could I not have heard about this?! :smileysad:

Thanks for any input you may have :smileyhappy:

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unlimited Data Plan Issue
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

MaryJane7777 wrote:

I had a similar incident.  My daughter left the country for a few months, so we inactivated her data plan because the Verizon rep at the Smokey Point store suggested we do that, assuring us that we could reactivate it when she returned.  When we tried we were told we couldn't because it was no longer available.  I talked to customer service and she told me that the rep wouldn't have known then that the plan would no longer be available.  I e-mailed customer service and got no answer.  Pretty frustrating.  I too would never have removed the plan had we known this could happen.  I have been a Verizon customer ever since I got a cell phone, well over 10 years ago, but they don't seem to care.  This is the first time I have been disappointed with Verizon's customer service, but it's a big deal to me because the rep led me to do something that I would not have done had he not said it would be no problem to put the data plan back on later!

Based on the information that the rep had at the time, he gave you correct information.  As with any subscription service, there is ALWAYS the chance that the company will discontinue or change their services in the future, and that they may not give you advance notice of the change.

It's unfortunate that you got stuck, but there was really nothing that rep could do to prevent it.  It IS possible to reactivate your daughter's line with a data package, you'll just have to choose from one of the currently available plans.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
If you temporarily activate a feature phone, and then try to go back to your unlimited data plan on the smartphone, you have to get the smartphone activated within 14 days, I believe. Call customer service now and explain why the feature phone was activated temporarily (they can view the time frame the phone activations occurred) and you *should* be able to get the unlimited data plan reinstated.

If one rep is not being cooperative, politely thank them for trying, hang up, and call back to get another rep. Be polite and courteous, explain patiently (even if it is the seventeenth time you have done so!) and hopefully you get a rep that can set things right.

If not, perhaps one of the helpful reps that monitor these boards will step in and help you out.
0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

I'm here! I'm here!! Thanks for the shout out, Suzy! Hey Jascarbor, if you need help with this, let me know :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
MaryJane7777

I had a similar incident.  My daughter left the country for a few months, so we inactivated her data plan because the Verizon rep at the Smokey Point store suggested we do that, assuring us that we could reactivate it when she returned.  When we tried we were told we couldn't because it was no longer available.  I talked to customer service and she told me that the rep wouldn't have known then that the plan would no longer be available.  I e-mailed customer service and got no answer.  Pretty frustrating.  I too would never have removed the plan had we known this could happen.  I have been a Verizon customer ever since I got a cell phone, well over 10 years ago, but they don't seem to care.  This is the first time I have been disappointed with Verizon's customer service, but it's a big deal to me because the rep led me to do something that I would not have done had he not said it would be no problem to put the data plan back on later!

0 Likes
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

MaryJane7777 wrote:

Based on the information that the rep had at the time, he gave you correct information.  As with any subscription service, there is ALWAYS the chance that the company will discontinue or change their services in the future, and that they may not give you advance notice of the change.

It's unfortunate that you got stuck, but there was really nothing that rep could do to prevent it.  It IS possible to reactivate your daughter's line with a data package, you'll just have to choose from one of the currently available plans.

0 Likes