Unauthorized phones/lines on account, do I need to send a police report and my driver's license??
HotBacon
Enthusiast - Level 2

After hearing the same thing happened to a coworker last night, I checked my account and discovered 2 new iPhones/lines were added to my plan without my knowledge.  I chatted with support online, who told me to call a fraud line.  I did so, and found that option 2 (for "unauthorized charges") told me to call my financial institution and disconnected me.  That obviously didn't help, so I chatted again.  They told me to call the same number and choose option 3.  I did so, and was connected to a human.  I explained the situation and they transferred me to a different department.  I explained the situation again, and they put me on hold.  The line started ringing again and a new representative asked me to explain the situation again, so I did.  They transferred me to ANOTHER department and I went through the whole story again.  This guy puts me on hold and comes back and tells me I have to 1) file a police report, 2) fax the police report to Verizon, and 3) fax a copy of my driver's license to Verizon.

This just feels super shady to me.  Why should I have to file a police report when it was my Verizon account that was hacked?  Should it be local, state, or federal police?  Why do they need my driver's license?  Why can they not just remove the lines from my account?

Anyone else experience this level of frustration????

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unauthorized phones/lines on account, do I need to send a police report and my driver's license??
AnthonyArmato
Contributor - Level 1

You need to change your account password for starters. Seems fishy to me that lines were added without you knowing. How long have they been on the account ? They clearly aren't free lines so there's a charge for them. You might have better luck going to the store in person and speaking to the manager on duty.

Re: Unauthorized phones/lines on account, do I need to send a police report and my driver's license??
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I would also log into your account and suspend all unauthorized lines without billing so that until this gets fixed you aren't being billed for it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Hi HotBacon!

I know unauthorized charges/changes can be frustrating and I'm here to help! I am saddened to learn about your unpleasant experiences because I know your time is valuable! By chance, were you advised that a Fraud claim can be filed on line by visiting: https://www.verizonwireless.com/fraud/

AyaniB_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
HotBacon
Enthusiast - Level 2

The story gets more frustrating.  On my way home I realized that I could not get a mobile connection at all on my cell phone...I hadn't even noticed that during the afternoon on Friday.  I stopped in at my local VZW store, and (as expected) they just proceeded to give me the same fraud phone number that has the misleading prompts.  So when I got home I called the 800 number on my bill to talk to "regular" customer service.  This experience was MUCH better.  The customer service rep helped me reactivate my 2 phones, and ensured that the unauthorized phones were suspended.  Once this happened, a slew of texts came through that were blocked during the day.  Included in this were texts from the VZW rep who sold the unauthorized phones thanking me for my purchase at 11am in Somerset (not sure what state, but definitely nowhere I was on Friday).  I asked to be sent to the fraud department again to report this, and they reiterated that I would have to file a police report.

I was never told that a fraud claim could be posted online.  This would have saved me at least an hour of my day and a lot of frustration.  I still don't understand the point of filing a local police report for something like this.  I would think something like this is out of their jurisdiction and it would be a waste of time for me and them.

0 Likes