Unable to call out when traveling in certain areas
SonicMDofGB

I have been a Verizon customer for a couple of years, and I frequently travel around the state of Wisconsin and surrounding areas.  I use a Samsung Convoy 2.  In certain cities, I experience an issue with my service.  I am able to send and receive text messages and receive voice calls, but when I try to initiate a voice call, I am not connected to the person I am trying to call. 

Instead, I hear a recorded message: "Welcome to Verizon.  The mobile customer you are calling is not available at this time.  Please try your call again later.  Announcement one switch two zero dash one."  This happens no matter who I try to call, whether or not they are a Verizon customer, landline or mobile, even my own Verizon voicemail or *611.  One of the areas in which this happens is a mere 45 minute drive from my home city. 

One day when this happened, I traveled back to my home city, called *611 and explained to the rep what was happening.  I was instructed to update my PRL by performing a *228 option 2.  I did this, traveled back to the city where I was having the issue and still experienced the same problem.

Can anyone tell me what this "1 switch 2 0 - 1" means and how I can resolve it short of switching carriers?  I use my phone to run a business and continuing to pay for a service I can't use is simply not an option.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unable to call out when traveling in certain areas
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We'll definitely get to the bottom of this SonicMDofGB. It sounds like your phone may be set to Home Only. Make sure it is set to Automatic http://vz.to/18vEHJf.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
SonicMDofGB

Thank you for your reply.  That was actually one of the settings I confirmed and checked before calling for help.  When I first checked the setting it was on "Automatic", and I tried switching to "Home Only" just to see what would happen.  The result was having no service at all, and when I switched back to "Automatic", I was back to square one, being able to send and receive text messages and receive voice calls, but not able to dial out.

I should point out that this only happens in about half of the cities to which I travel.  My home area is Green Bay Wisconsin and my service has recently worked fine in Kalamazoo, Michigan and Eau Claire, Wisconsin.  Two of the places where I have the issue are Shawano, Wisconsin and Bailey's Harbor, Wisconsin, which are both, ironically, closer to home.

Hopefully that helps narrow down the cause.  I am still curious as to the exact meaning of "one switch two zero dash one".

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate you taking the time to offer this information! I am showing that Bailey's Harbor is an Extended Network and Shawano is very close to the Extended Network as well. It is possible that you are picking up another carriers towers while in these areas. While service is not guaranteed, this is not normal for it to never work. I would like to review the account and network settings in detail. Please follow me back and send a Direct Message with your name and mobile number. I will look forward to your reply!

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZwsupport

0 Likes