Transfer of account through assumption of liability
MikeInATL
Contributor - Level 1

I have a single line account with 450 minutes, unlimited text and a grandfathered unlimited data plan.  I have 7 weeks left on my contract.  Can I port my number to a different carrier, have a new phone number assigned to my account, then transfer my account to a new person through an AOL as a single line account and they keep my unlimited data plan without losing it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Transfer of account through assumption of liability
Tidbits
Legend

No you will love the unlimited data.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Tidbits wrote:

No you will love the unlimited data.

Love or lose, ?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Lose lol autocorrect fail

MikeInATL
Contributor - Level 1

At which point would do you say it would get lost - when I port my number or the new number is put on the account or when it's transferred?  And how can they do that when there is a contract still in effect on the account?

Also, were are you getting your information on which you're basing this answer?  I've read on another forum where 3 people recently and successfully did what I want to do, albeit they did it a special and careful way.  But nonetheless, they did it.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

When it is transfered. The reason being if you read the AOL terms of FAQ it specifically says supported plan which unlimited data hasn't been a supported plan for the past 2 years?

0 Likes
MikeInATL
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks but unless you're reading different requirements than me, I think you're incorrect.  In addition to seeing 3 people's post where they did it, I also saw this from the support website.  The only potentially questionable part is in the next to the last sentence in the note at the bottom.  But it says "may".  Nowhere does it say it must be a supported plan.

What are the requirements for transferring my account to a friend or family member?

This is a process known as Assumption of Liability (AOL). In order to perform an AOL, all of the following requirements must be met:

Current Account Owner

• You must ensure that the balance on the account you want to transfer is current. You will continue to be responsible for account charges until the transfer has been completed.
  • If the line you are transferring is the primary line on a Family SharePlan® or the only secondary line on a Family SharePlan, the remaining line(s) must be placed on eligible calling plans prior to processing the account transfer. Please contact Customer Service at (800) 922-0204 for assistance.
  • You must contact Customer Service at (800) 922-0204 to authorize the account transfer and provide the name of the person who will be taking over the account.

New Account Owner (person taking over responsibility for the account)

• You must read and agree to the Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions prior to assuming responsibility for the account.
  • If the line you are taking over is being added to an existing Verizon Wireless account, your account must be current.
  • If you agree to the Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions and up to a one-year contract term, you must contact the Assumption of Liability Department at (888) 832-4540. A representative will assist you with completing the AOL request.

Note: Your service assumption will be subject to a credit check. You may be required to switch to current pricing and promotions. A security deposit may also be required.

And here's the URL - http://support.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/AccountManagement/faq_billing.html/3/2?lid=sayt&sayt...

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Read the Note:

They will require you to drop the unlimited data in order to do the AOL.

0 Likes
MikeInATL
Contributor - Level 1

I read the note.  And I just called into customer service.  I didn't ask about the porting of my number and assigning a new number since you said just the AOL would drop the unlimited.  I only asked about doing an AOL.  Dude you're wrong.  If I do an AOL, they will keep everything, including unlimited data.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Good luck. He will lose it when that happens.

0 Likes