Throttling
fcruz11

Lately i feel that my service has been shitty, every time i go to open a app that requires any data usage my connectivity goes from blue to regular white and says i have no connection. Then magically when i exit app to home screen my blue data comes back it is a horribly annoying cycle and have been reading that Verizon is now "Throttling" unlimited data users. I was wondering if any other unlimited users are running into this problem.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Throttling
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

What kind of phone do you have?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
drunkensellphone
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nope, but if you live in an area with lots of people and you use a 3g phone and lots of data you're going to have to pay for the huge amount of data you must use each month. Seriously, hardly anyone is having their data throttled and if you are one of the lucky ones it sounds like you're going to have to start paying the big bucks! Enjoy!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

fcruz11 wrote:

I was wondering if any other unlimited users are running into this problem.

Not me.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi fcruz11,

I'm sorry to see that you are having issues with your device and I am here to help! We do practice Network Optimization, however it does not affect 4G devices. For details visit: http://bit.ly/pMMCfs. Which device do you have? When did the problem begin? Where are you located (zip code)? I hope this information in helpful and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you for your contribution to our community forums,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
techsan79
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having this issue, I have unlimited data plan and it cuts me back to 1x from full 3g.  This so called "network optimization"  is to allow others to use the tower you are using...I use 45gb a month and it does throttle me back now.. The customer service tells me that Verizon does not throttle, but they do network optimize....So, lets call it a different name and it makes it ok.  I pay for unlimited 3g coverage, not my issue that Verizon is not able to uphold the contract that they agreed to.  This started a few months ago and is getting worse.  I am disgusted with this since I have no other internet since I live in the middle of no where, limited options and the one thing that worked now does not.  Before you say go get 4g..which would be great, there is no tower for 4g within 100 miles, so a 4g phone would be a moot point.  There should be an override to this nonsense of network optimization.

0 Likes
Ptmc518
Contributor - Level 3

I'm on unlimited data with an iPhone 5 and I have the same problem.  I have 5 bars (or dots) of service and still get slow as molasses speeds.  Verizon should be glad us unlimited data users are still customers, we're some of the oldest customers they have.  I've never heard that throttling doesn't include 4G, I think the rep above is either clueless or lying (most likely lying) to try and put this to rest. 

Per this link.  Verizon is throttling as an incentive to limit usage.  That doesn't even make sense to me.  Why would I be paying for a smartphone and data if I'm not going to use it?  Do they throttle people that subscribe to higher tiered data services?  Unlimited users are using the same amounts as them, oh I see the problem, Unlimited data users aren't charged an overage fee for going over an overpriced cap so Verizon doesn't make any extra money on us. 

I feel a class action lawsuit coming along.  I understand this is bandwidth that Verizon is throttling, not data but I feel that all users should be treated equally.  If Verizon's network can't handle the use then get somebody who can manage the network properly to take over or build it up to handle it.

Today, I checked my speed using speedtest.net's app, I had 5 bars of service and was outside.  My Download speed is .70 Mbps and my upload is .01 Mbps.  My mother, who is on her own plan and has 2 GB of data/month did the same thing and got 10.83 Mbps down and 8.87 Mbps up.  This is criminal and I don't see any reason why Verizon is allowed to get away with this.  I pay my bill monthly, always on time and I have been with Verizon since I moved out on my own and got my own plan and have excellent coverage, but Verizon is just spitting back in the face of its users because they can't charge us overage fees.  It's all about greed and Verizon is proving that it's one of the greediest, dirtiest companies out there.

0 Likes