Re: Throttling of unlimited 4g
M9
Contributor - Level 1

Streaming 1080P video will increase Ur usage 1000% not to mention 4k video.

0 Likes
M9
Contributor - Level 1

Hence VZW's scramble to convert everyone to tiered data.

0 Likes
Not applicable

However with my unlimited it costs $360 per line so at the increased cost it would be paying more for less.

$360 versus $480 so I save $120 per line. Now having purchased my iphones at full price versus subsidized devices let's see $1700.00 or $750 per device versus $200 so I pay $550 more per device or $1100.00

So I don't actually save any money for quite a few years or 4.5 years to be exact.

But I don't get a limited amount of data for the same price I pay for unlimited. Like the fool in the store tried to say I was saving money since I don't even use a gigabyte per month. As I pointed out only a fool can see unlimited data at $29.99 versus 2 GB of data at $29.99 is not saving. You are actually paying the same for less.

I only like unlimited because I don't have worry about going over the cap and paying more than if I had unlimited.

As you said for me unlimited is what I prefer.

But to each their own....

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Yet since I do not currently and it is doubtful I ever will do so, it will increase my data usage 0%.Smiley Happy

You seem to assume a lot about my usage which simply is not true.

When I switched from a 3G to a 4G device, I was given the same argument about my data usage increasing 1000%. This could not be further from the truth. My usage has NOT increased at all in the 2 years I have had a 4G device. I don't foresee any future increase in the magnitude you are forecasting.

Of course, others may see different results depending on their usage. It is NOT a one size fits all type of device.Smiley Happy

M9
Contributor - Level 1

I'm not into the whole shared data thing. I'm single & my kids r grown. But it would seem to me like a major source of family discord. As in who blew through this month's data?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Elector wrote:

But I don't get a limited amount of data for the same price I pay for unlimited. Like the fool in the store tried to say I was saving money since I don't even use a gigabyte per month. As I pointed out only a fool can see unlimited data at $29.99 versus 2 GB of data at $29.99 is not saving. You are actually paying the same for less.

Yet, this is not even what I am talking about. I kept unlimited data when Verizon introduced tiered data plans as it would NOT save me any money. To give up unlimited data without getting anything in return simply did nothing for me. It would have actually been an increase in my bill as Verizon did not apply corporate discounts to a 2GB data tier, you had to have a minimum of a 5GB data tier for corporate discounts to kick in, however corporate discounts remained for unlimited data, yet only on the primary line. At the time, I said people would be crazy to give up unlimited data without any incentive. I still think so. The incentive for me is the $40/month(~$500/year) reduction in my bill. My incentive actually increased when Verizon lowered the data prices on the More Everything plan. Chances are the data prices may fall again in the future, increasing my savings.

Yes, if Verizon still required each line to get its own data plan, I would still have unlimited data. That is not the case, though. I have "shared" data with my 4 lines sharing a pool of data. As a result, I am paying LESS each month because of the switch for a total of ~$1000 since the switch. This does not count the ~$400 phone discounts I receive for signing a contract each time.Smiley Happy

rcschnoor
Legend

Not in the least, it takes about 1.5 seconds for me to see who has used how much data, not to mention that we have never even come close to exceeding our data allowance in any given month. If we had, I could simply increase it by 2 GB for another $10 and only save $30 that month over my previous bill with unlimited data.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Not applicable

M9 wrote:Streaming 1080P video will increase Ur usage 1000% not to mention 4k video.

Who needs 4K streaming or even 1080p streaming ON A PHONE?

0 Likes
Not applicable

M9 wrote:I'm not into the whole shared data thing. I'm single & my kids r grown. But it would seem to me like a major source of family discord. As in who blew through this month's data?

You do realize that most customers are on family plans. Single line plans are a small minority.

0 Likes
M9
Contributor - Level 1

That's just it. It's not really a phone. It's more a pocket computer. Especially if u pay the extra 30$ a month for hotspot service. I travel in a 5th wheel camper. It's my home internet in effect. I stream Amazon prime TV from my hotspot to a PlayStation then to my tv.

0 Likes