Throttled data for UNLIMITED data customers
truMERM

I have been a loyal smartphone customer to Verizon for years, even through the tirads of high cost with crappy phone selections.  Recently been having issue with my data really bogging down, taking forever to download photos, upload anything to facebook or just browse a website took forever.  I called a VZW CS Rep and he told me that my speeds were being slowed due to "high usage" and speeds were slowed to deter usage.  Told me I would not have this issue if I were on the 2GB/month data plan or a 4G data plan.  I was outraged!  Called back threatening to cancel service with another CS rep, who was VERY helpful, but went to loyalty dept to check on a simple early upgrade to a 4G phone to satisfy a longtime customer to help them out and save face, but NO.  Sorry, there is no way we can do an upgrade and you'll have to use less data in basic terms. 

Verizon has tried to set them selves apart from Tmobile, AT&T and Sprint with their "Rule the Air" campaign.  They truly do rule it...use too much, they'll choke your usage down.  This should be illegal.  I pay for unlimited EVERY month and have for years!  Verizon should hear from their customers who are suffering from this problem and resolve it IMMEDIATELY!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Throttled data for UNLIMITED data customers
roosterk506

The problem I have is top 5% is not a concrete number, therefor you have no way to know if you are top 5% or getting close even.  Additionally, the 5% will fluctuate, so will your throttling fluctuate as well?  This is way to shady for me.  I also have to ask if having a 4g phone will matter if you have no 4g service where you live.  This should only apply in 4g areas.  VZW is pulling some real BullSh#t move here. Just another step to eventually force all customers to sign up for tiered data.

I would love to know why this isnt illegal.
I agree with the sentiment that this stinks of an underhanded scheme to try and force people to 4G or into tiered plans. When they throttle the top 5% (which no one will know if it is only 5%) those users will not be able to be in the top 5% for the next month+ so the next group will be throttled and so on and so on. And of course once people are unrestricted they will be able to bump the numbers back up and what not, but it wouldn't surprise me if the top 10-15% of users are (close to) constantly throttled.  This would, presumably, mean that there is a significantly lower demand for data, saving Big Red some money.

They will have to void my contract first. Then I'll walk to whatever is the best deal.

0 Likes
Re: Throttled data for UNLIMITED data customers
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

You guys are so funny.

0 Likes