Text forwarding
esherman1980

Is there anyway to receive my son's texts on my phone also for viewing. He is only 11 and my wife and I are being told that his girlfriend is sending inappropriate things to him by a mutual friend. he of course erases everything before we get home for work so we cannot view it. His phone always has 0 messages on it but in three weeks he has 1,300 messages. Any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Text forwarding
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

A few suggestions - you, as a parent, have the responsibility for what happens on his phone.  If you want to see what he is texting, and he is erasing the texts before you can see, then take the phone away.  Or block texting.  Your accessibility to the texts should be a condition of the privilege of having the phone.

What model phone is it?  If it's an iPhone or smartphone, there are apps you can install to have texts forwarded - though he can get around those if he's determined. 

You need to set rules and boundaries for him and the phone, since you are paying the bill.  If he is unwilling to abide by those rules, then he does not have the phone, or at least has limited options with the phone.

Re: Text forwarding
esherman1980

I asked a question about features that were available for Verizon, not for a parenting lesson. Guidelines were set before I posted that and they have been followed. That does not mean I can make this girl follow them too. The phone is a basic one so I cannot download any apps. The feature block is not an option since he is home during the day by himself. And during the school year he and his brother get on the bus after my wife and I need to leave for work. But thanks for the parenting lesson I didn't ask for. He is a straight A student in the advanced learning classes, plays travel hockey and baseball, and is involved in band and the skit club also. So I think I got the parent thing down alright for now.

0 Likes