Swapping phones/numbers
medic664
Enthusiast - Level 1

I currently have two lines with Verizon, call them A and B. both are smartphones. I have available to me an old good ESN dumbphone from Verizon. What I'm wondering is this. Can I take the dumbphone, activate it on a postpaid no contract term(seeing as I'd be bringing said phone), and then swap the number from that to line A and vice versa? Basically I'm looking to get my number out of Verizon but I'm in a contract for another 7 months. If that's possible to do, could I then port out the no contract line C(with my primary number that was initially line A) and then also get line B out using the same method with a second dumbphone? In the end I'd want to have both smartphone numbers ported out and the new numbers not on smartphones/data plans but rather on dirt cheap plans for the dumbphones as well as no ETF? Is that doable or am I completely out in left field here? If it'd work would I have to still serve out the remainder of my contract? Thanks in advance for your help.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Swapping phones/numbers
Not applicable

If you have 2 lines with smartphones, you can replace both smartphones with basic phones and drop the data plans.  You can port the numbers out to another provider.  Both of the dumb phones would have to stay on your current plan until the contracts expire.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

If you have 2 lines with smartphones, you can replace both smartphones with basic phones and drop the data plans.  You can port the numbers out to another provider.  Both of the dumb phones would have to stay on your current plan until the contracts expire.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Your lowest cost plan would be 700 minutes for $50 plus $9.99 per phone plus taxes and fees around $4.50 per phone for a total of $79 per month, I believe.

0 Likes
medic664
Enthusiast - Level 1

That's exactly what I needed to know. Now just to double check the rate plans. Thanks again.

0 Likes
medic664
Enthusiast - Level 1

No ETF for the smartphones, right?

0 Likes
medic664
Enthusiast - Level 1

Would it make a difference if I bought the dumb phone from Verizon as far as contract goes?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Your contracts are for your 2 lines of service.  As long as you keep those two lines of service and make your monthly payments, there is no ETF.  You can put any phone you want on each line.  If it's a smartphone, it requires a data plan.  If it's a basic phone, it will not have a data plan.  You can get the phones from anywhere.  If you bought them from Verizon, you would have to pay full retail price or sign a new 2 year contract.

0 Likes
medic664
Enthusiast - Level 1

Last question. I think. Bring my own phones is there still a $35 activation fee per phone?

0 Likes
Not applicable

No, you already paid an activation fee for those two lines.  They are already active.

0 Likes
medic664
Enthusiast - Level 1

Actually. One more. Would I also get my discount on those two dumbphones too? It's off the monthly plan rate.

0 Likes