Spammers/Phishers Using vtext.com
G_Hosa_Phat

I'm not sure how I haven't seen this before, but I received a text this morning from xxx-xxx-xxxx@vtext.com telling me to call yyy-yyy-yyyy.  Since I don't generally get a lot of calls from outside of my own area code (and even fewer text messages), and my phone isn't in the 407 area code, I thought it prudent to do a bit of research into who this "person" was that wanted me to call them.  A quick Google search later and a look at the comments from a few different sites gave me all the info I needed to confirm that this is a phishing attempt.

Apparently, the number indicated in the text message is answered by an auto-attendant that indicates that some form of restriction has been placed on your debit card, and then asks you for your debit card number.  To add to the suspicion, the auto-attendant apparently doesn't provide any sort of identification as to who it is you just called.  Obviously I'm not going to provide my debit card number to anyone that won't tell me who they are, can't verify that they are who they are, isn't someone I already trust, and who's so obviously just phishing for my information.

The sad thing is, I know that there may be some people who are taken in by this scheme, so I wanted to share the information I've found with as many of you as possible.  From everything I can tell, this is some spammer who is likely spoofing the @vtext.com domain to send out their phishing messages so that they look "legit".  Please be just as careful about what you receive via text messages as you would be with an e-mail message.  There are, unfortunately, people out there who would rather put their efforts into scamming other people than into actually providing a respectable contribution to society.

<< Message edited to remove phone numbers >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Spammers/Phishers Using vtext.com
kimmie1980

yes i have been getting the same text too!!!!!

0 Likes
ghostndragon
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got one too.  Looks like Verizon needs to crack down on these accounts.  The address is 651470231@vtext.com

0 Likes
sini

I just got a similar text, too from 7790@vtext.com

Call:13089467504 (441858XXX-AchieveAccountFrozen)

Upon reading this thread, this appears, too, to be a bad-news kind of text.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

sini- Thank you for notifying us about the spam text. We recommend that anyt ime you receive a text or call that you are uncomfortable with that's requiring information, please call our 800-922-0204. We will look further into this issue.

0 Likes
Elucider
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called and rep told me to email the text to phishing@verizonwireless.com

Did so and got an auto reply to send spam texts to 7726 which I did as well.

0 Likes
Elucider
Enthusiast - Level 2

For reference and google searchers the number they told me to call are

0 Likes
mjsbabygirl

Same thing here.  My text came from 4421@vtext.com.  The number I was told to call was 4172836002.  Because 417 is actually my area code, I went ahead and called just in case.  The recorded message also did not give me enough information regarding who it actually was, so I was on high alert by that point and did not give away any information, but I am worried for people who might.  I hope Verizon, and any other cell phone company effected, can get to the bottom of this quickly.  I urge everyone to contact their local television stations' newsrooms so that this can get out to other potential victims as soon as possible and law enforcement to assist in investigations into the matter.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mjsbabygirl, We certainly do make sure keeping your account safe and secure is a top priority for us. We have teams that continue to make sure all our customers accounts are safe. Please use the link provided to make sure all parts of your account and ways to continue to protect are used http://vz.to/17YaTDP  Are you still continuing to receive these texts? Let us know as we do want to make sure you can get back to enjoying your services safely.

-PeterV_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Richwoot

I just received a message from71942982@vtext.com wanting me to call Wells Fargo at a718 area code number. The message also states the message is spam.

0 Likes