Songs from computer to Env3 without USB Cable
lrando1
Contributor - Level 1

I have songs on my computer that I want to put on a memory card for the Env3. I have tried this several times. 1st time I formatted the card in the pc. Then using Windows Media Player, I dragged and dropped songs I wanted to sync column and synced to card. If I put the card in the slot on the pc, the songs all show there. However, when I put it on phone, they don't show. The "memory" "card" shows that some of the card is being used, but no songs appear. So then I figured I should format in phone. Did this. Went through above steps. This time I got the music, pix etc. files to show on computer. However, again dragged to sync column and synced to card. Again...do not appear on phone. Lastly I tried to drag and drop phones into "music" folder on the card and it won't let me do it. Help! I have searched this subject on here because I remember seeing similar posts, but of course can't find them when I need them! Any suggestions? Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Songs from computer to Env3 without USB Cable
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Stick your memory card into your PC and it should show up as a removable drive and you should find the my_music folder. Don't use Media Player, just use Windows Explorer to drag and drop your music files into the my_music folder.

One thing you want to keep in mind is that the phone will not recognize nested folders. So you need to place all your .mp3 files directly into the my_music folder. So when you click open the my_music folder you should see a list of all your songs, you shouldn't see any album or artist folders. If you organize it by artist or album the phone won't see the .mp3 file.

So the file location of a song should be: D:\my_music\Song.mp3 (D: obviously being an example for the drive letter of your memory card). If you have D:\my_music\album\Song.mp3 then the phone won't see it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Stick your memory card into your PC and it should show up as a removable drive and you should find the my_music folder. Don't use Media Player, just use Windows Explorer to drag and drop your music files into the my_music folder.

One thing you want to keep in mind is that the phone will not recognize nested folders. So you need to place all your .mp3 files directly into the my_music folder. So when you click open the my_music folder you should see a list of all your songs, you shouldn't see any album or artist folders. If you organize it by artist or album the phone won't see the .mp3 file.

So the file location of a song should be: D:\my_music\Song.mp3 (D: obviously being an example for the drive letter of your memory card). If you have D:\my_music\album\Song.mp3 then the phone won't see it.

0 Likes
lrando1
Contributor - Level 1

Wow, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! That worked. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me!! I have the alias 2 and I was able to just synch through WIndow Media. I read through manual for Env 3 and still couldn't get it!!! I appreciate the help.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Yay!! Glad I could help.

When I used to have a LG8550 Chocolate it took me many countless hours and pulled out hair to figure that out. :smileyvery-happy:

It's a pretty important step, so you'd figure it would be in a manual some where. Who do they get to write those things anyway? They're worthless!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

nmchileman wrote:

Wonder if we ought to sticky this - so many have issues and this sounds like it could be a common reason why.  Trying to be organized and efficient turns out to mess things up, you need to dump everything right into the folder without organizing it at all.

it may not solve all the issues, but it may help a lot of people!

0 Likes
lrando1
Contributor - Level 1

Great Idea to sticky. I used the search feature to try and find the answer. I got plenty of hits, but none of them really addressed this issue. I think it would be very helpful to have one quick place people can go to find this info!

0 Likes
ywait4ever

Using the my_music directory worked great. What are the directories to create for pictures & video?

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

You don't create them - they are created by the phone when the card is formatted.  And they are pretty simple to figure out - My_Videos, (or My_Flix), My_Pictures (My_Pix), My_Sounds, some phones have My_Ringtones - but the phone does the set up, thenyou can see the folders via USB cable and drag and drop the files into the appropriate folders.

0 Likes
Thank you for your message. To ensure the safety of our t...
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Thank you for your message. To ensure the safety of our team members, we have temporarily reduced our business hours and our Response Centers are closed for the day. You may not receive a response until the next business day. Thank you for your understanding.
0 Likes
Thank you for your message. To ensure the safety of our t...
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Thank you for your message. To ensure the safety of our team members, we have temporarily reduced our business hours and our Response Centers are closed for the day. You may not receive a response until the next business day. Thank you for your understanding.
0 Likes