Someone is using my cell phone number to requests call backs from dozens of companies
gamerchic
Enthusiast - Level 1

Starting last night I have been receiving calls on my cell phone from companies saying that I went to various websites and asked for a quote either for a card, health insurance, college, refinancing or some other service. I have been getting calls from dozens of people every couple of minutes since last night. This morning I had at least 5-6 calls before 9 am and when I last checked my phone I had missed 16 calls and had voicemails too.

I never visited any sites or asked for calls. Whoever is doing this is using my name and cell phone number but not my email address thankfully.

Is anyone having this happen or has it happened to you before? Verizon suggested blocking the numbers but there are WAY more than the 5 you can block for free. I registered the number with the Do Not Call registry but if someone is asking for calls on a site then that gives permission for these places to call.

I don't want to have to change my cell phone number as I've had it for many years.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Someone is using my cell phone number to requests call backs from dozens of companies
spitxfire
Contributor - Level 3

Someone must be playing a bad joke on you then, I've heard of people doing that.  Adding yourself to the DNC list was definitely a wise choice, usage controls for 4.99 a month you can block 20 I think, do that for a month and then take it off.

0 Likes
Re: Someone is using my cell phone number to requests call backs from dozens of companies
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You also may want to use YouMail or something similar until the calls stop.  It allows you to 'ditch' unwanted calls and it's free.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Someone doesn't like you.  I would change my phone number.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand the frustration of having unwanted calls to your mobile phone gamerchic. You have definitely took all precautions to prevent further calls by blocking the five free numbers and registering with the Do Not Solicit list. If the unwanted calls persist changing your number may be the next step but we offer another feature you can add to block more numbers until they stop.http://vz.to/MqEgqB . Please keep us posted and remember, changing your number is very simple and free online via My-Verizon.

KinquanaH_VZW

0 Likes
Not applicable

But many times the number you change to is worse than the one you had. Or you might get a number from a little old lady who never received that many calls. Its a turn of the wheel

0 Likes
Not applicable

I think I would take a chance and change the number.  If the new number is just as bad, change it again.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Horses 547 wrote:

I think I would take a chance and change the number.  If the new number is just as bad, change it again.

That is true and should be the next corse of action. However the customer has that risk of getting an often posted or used number or one hardly used and will not get loads of former owner calls. like I said its a crap shoot.

0 Likes
EpJayhawks12
Contributor - Level 1

So, someone that knew your number posted it on various call up sites... get a new number. Post closed

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon closes the threads, not you.