Somehow under 2-Year contract and Edge at the same time?
avidmar1978
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tried to switch over to the new Verizon Plan this morning, and after one incredibly uneducated representative* quoted me a price that ended up not being true, I had to call back and switch back to my old More Everything with Verizon Edge discount.  The short version is that I was told by a Verizon phone representative that my line in which I have a device payment currently would be $20 per month.  When I got my confirmation email, that line was $40 per month.

So I have to call back.  Apparently, even though I'm on Edge, I still have a contract end date of 2/26/2016?  This doesn't make any sense at all.  This date isn't viewable in My Verizon for my line. My Verizon points me to my device agreement, while the other lines on my plan all make reference to a contract end date.  This is what makes perfect sense. 

This certainly sound more like a glitch in the system.  If I'm still under a 2-year contract for a phone that I handed over to Verizon, how is that not stealing?  How can you ask for the phone back, but not terminate the contract?  I was told in chat, on the phone, and in person that I would no longer be under contract.

*This representative was trying to tell me that 40+40+40+20+45 = 160.  I knew this was wrong, but after pulling out the calculator and walking through the math together, she assured me my new bill would be 185 + my current monthly device payment.  This ended up being untrue.  I ended up being billed 205 + my current monthly device payment

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Somehow under 2-Year contract and Edge at the same time?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having all the correct information regarding your plan and account account is important avidmar1978. Sorry that there was any confusion with the pricing. Let's make sure we get you all the details here. Based on the information provided, it sounds like you did an Early Edge upgrade to get a new phone. When you do the Early Edge, you trade in your current phone and get a new phone on the Device payment plan (formally called Edge). Does this sound like what you did? In most cases, when doing this upgrade, the line getting the new phone was still under contract. By moving to the device payment plan on a new phone, it wouldn't have removed your currently active contract. You would still have to fulfill the two year agreement on the line. On the Verizon Plan, if you have a line that is still under contract, the line access charge is $40.00. Once the line is out of contract, it will automatically switch to the $20.00 line access charge.

NicoleB_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
avidmar1978
Enthusiast - Level 3

There is simply no way that this can be the correct answer.  I'm getting ripped off if that's the case.  Nowhere in the Early Edge promotion did it say that I would remain under my existing 2-Year contract.  It seems much more likely that there is a glitch on Verizon's end, due to how difficult it was to even do the Early Edge to begin with.

So, I sign a 2-year contract which subsidizes the cost of my phone.

Verizon tells me that I can do an Early Edge, to get onto the Edge plan.  You know, the Edge Plan that advertises that it is free from a 2-year contract agreement.

Verizon asks me to hand over the phone that was on the 2-year agreement.

After all of this, I'm now paying full retail price for my current phone on the Edge Plan (since renamed to Device Payment plan), but I'm still under contract for a phone that Verizon took back from me?

If I'm under contract, why doesn't it show me as under contract in My Verizon?  All it reflects for my line is the Device Payment contract, while my other 3 lines reflect their contract end date.

I now feel lied to (because I was) and stolen from, because turning over my phone was supposed to be a replacement for the ETF and I should be out of my contract.  If I'm still under contract, I want my phone back.

0 Likes
avidmar1978
Enthusiast - Level 3

Quote:

Upgrade early to the Droid Turbo with Edge.
With this exclusive offer you trade in your current device and take advantage of Verizon EDGE: You make monthly payments on your device, and you pay no upgrade fee. Learn more about Edge.

The link to "Edge" has been replaced with the new Device Payment FAQ

There is nothing in the email or the FAQ available at the time to indicate that Early Edge individuals are still under their 2-year contracts, or that Early Edge was in any way different than Edge.  The Edge FAQ was very clear that Edge did not have a 2-year contract agreement, only a device payment agreement.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Most of us hope this Early Edge thing goes away very soon.  It's been a cluster of confusion for months.  however, Early Edge functioned differently than Edge.  Edge was the no contract payment plan.  Early Edge was the return of the phone on contract to replace the ETF.  Yes, that contract was basically satisfied money-wise, however time-wise, Verizon extended some people to 2 years (the time it takes to pay off the Edge phone over 24 payments) and others had to finish their remaining time on contract.  Example:  2 year contract...Early Edge at 1 year completed.  Meaning...one year left on contract, but 2 years on phone payments.  Of course, the phone could be paid off early at some point, but the time remaining stayed in place.  So, in the end, if you doubled up, you could pay off the phone in the one year you had left on contract, otherwise after that one year, you still had a year left to pay on the phone, but you could change plans.  Confusing huh?  This program was never communicated well and in Verizon's haste to move toward device payments plans, a lot of training got tossed it seems.

avidmar1978
Enthusiast - Level 3

Collecting a phone to satisfy an Early Termination, but then in turn not Terminating the contract...  Sounds like stealing to me.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Sounds like maybe you didn't read all the information or at least didn't get told all the correct information.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

And, to be honest....Verizon doesn't give Edge subscribers an option to make larger repayments in order to pay off their device quicker. You can only pay extra if you have decided to 'Edge Up', and need 100% of the phone's balance paid off to upgrade, or if you wish to pay the full amount owing to keep your device and cancel your Edge plan.

0 Likes
avidmar1978
Enthusiast - Level 3

Re: Didn't read all of the information:

There was no information to read.  There is NOWHERE to read that Early Edge people aren't going to the REAL Edge plan.  The ONLY information available said that Edge does not come with a 2-year contract.  I had to have spent 2 hours on the phone with Verizon representatives asking questions on this topic before I took the plunge.

Re: 24 month payment plan:

I know how the 24 month payment plan works.  I'm not sure how that's even relevant.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

It's relevant because you were or are on an Edge agreement for a phone correct?  Those last for 24 months or less depending on when you want to pay off the phone in full.

0 Likes