Simultaneous voice and data
emkay10

So regardless of whether you are on CDMA or on the new LTE network ALL android phones can do voice and data simultaneously?

Also if you have an iPhone on CDMA, when the data is interrupted because of a phone call, will the data reconnect automatically once the phone call has ended?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Simultaneous voice and data
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As noted earlier, it depends on the phone.  There's a number of 4G LTE Androids that can do simultaneous voice/data if on 4G because they have the extra radio installed that allows for it.  More recent phones don't have the extra radio and therefore need VoLTE for the capability.

The Thunderbolt was capable of simultaneous voice/data while on 3G.

Dropping the extra radio and thus not having simultaneous voice/data while on 4G became quite a topic on this forum and elsewhere when phones such as the Moto X 2nd gen were introduced and didn't have the capability, i.e.:

Verizon Moto X (2nd gen) to launch without simultaneous voice and data

Why cant i talk and surf at the same time?

View solution in original post

Snn5
Legend

No, all Androids cannot voice/data at the same time.  VoLTE is required (Advanced Calling) and there are about 5-7 handsets with that capability right now. 

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

When data is interrupted by call, it will reconnect after hanging up.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Snn5 wrote:

No, all Androids cannot voice/data at the same time.  VoLTE is required (Advanced Calling) and there are about 5-7 handsets with that capability right now.

I do not have this feature enabled on my device and and I am certainly able to do voice and data on my Android. Where are you getting this information?

Only the iPhone is incapable of  simultaneous voice and data on the Verizon Wireless network.

Tidbits
Legend

Some android can do both. However it depends on the age and brand of the android device. Recent devices all need volte to do both.

Snn5
Legend

From Tidbits's reply.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I have been selling these devices since 2011 and I am pretty sure that the S3 was able to do this and this was long before AC1.0 and VoLTE.

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The iPhone 6 and 6+ also are capable of simultaneous voice/data due to VoLTE.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I'm not sure what to tell you...my Gnex, Razr Maxx, G2, Droid 2, Inc2...all since 2010...none of them would data and voice until the G2 VoLTE update.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I am not sure what to tell you but the S3 was able to do it without.

0 Likes