Re: Scam phone call
pj55

I also received robocall leaving voicemail claiming they were verizon and that my account had been suspended and I was to press some number to speak to someone to get it reactivated.  Number was 800-922-0298. I do not answer calls I don't recognize and would not fall for this scam but something needs to be done to prevent others from falling for it and giving away their personal information. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ramaz, receiving scam calls are definitely not something we want any of our customers to experience. Allow me to provide some suggestions to help with this issue. The phone number that you provided is actually our customer service number. This would be called Caller ID spoofing. Please take a look at the section "What is Caller ID spoofing?" in this link https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-218765/ for more details.

Regrettably, spoofing has become a very popular way for telemarketers and scammers to get calls out. The FCC has a great page about spoofing as well at https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/spoofing-and-caller-id that I recommend taking a look at (especially the video titled "Neighbor Spoofing & Robocall Scams"). In the "How do I report suspected spoofing" section there is also a link to file a complaint with the FCC to let them know your number is being used in this Caller ID manipulation. In most cases, these quickly subside but if the calls become persistent, we also offer the option to change your number at no charge ( https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/how-to-change-phone-number-video/ ).

When you receive spam calls, we have a great app called Call Filter that will recognize when a spam call is coming through. There is a free version & a premium version. Please take a moment to check it out https://www.verizonwireless.com/solutions-and-services/call-filter/

Spam calls, unfortunately, are very common these days & a lot of telemarketers/robocalls & scammers somehow get numbers. Verizon Wireless does not solicit or give out your numbers. AliciaD_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for your valuable feedback, this has been lifted to the proper team. AlbertP_VZW

0 Likes
Dmphx1

Hey Verizon, how do people contact you if they don't have Twitter of Facebook? Your company / rep is assuming that everyone loves and uses FB etc. Not the case. I am most interested in how the scammers are able to use our own numbers to disguise their number. Also what is Verizon doing about. Probably nothing but I thought I would ask anyway. Thank you. 

0 Likes
Re: Scam caller has the phone number of one of my phones
Raritan1950
Enthusiast - Level 1

AUG. 26, 2019 at 8:45 AM, Mountain time:  I received a scam phone call with the caller ID displaying the phone number of one of my Verizon phones.  I answered the call and a recording came on saying my Verizon account had been suspended and I should press "1" for more information.  I hung up.  What worries me is that some s**m bag has gotten hold of one of my Verizon phone numbers and is now using it to defraud people.  The caller ID also displayed my full name.

FB09

Well I can certainly attest to this new scam that is going on.  Happened to me 2 days ago and continued today when I found out that the order was still being processed even though i was told it was cancelled. Problem was i wasnt talking to the fraud department i was talking to very well trained and  smart criminals.  Its was very convincing and intricate I truly had no idea I wasnt talking to the Verizon fraud department. They got me, got me but luckily I  was able to stop what was happening and correct this before it went any further.

Im usually pretty good at picking this stuff out but he said my , my verizon account was hacked and just to verify while he was talking i tried to login and couldnt. He had information that only someone who works at Verizon or had access to our account would know. 

After spending  nearly 2 hours. with the real fraud team its fixed but I have even less trust then i did before and my trust  level was already low. So much so now that even after taking to the women below i called back to verify i was taking to her. But basically an awesome fraud team member named Sofia, recognized  quickly today that i didn't call back yesterday and reauthorize the order. She was able to put a ticket in and cancel the order, Verizon doesnt ship phones on weekends so Monday morning those guys will get the bad news the phones arent coming.  I would have perferred a FBI agent in a post office uniform to nab these people but im guessing theres a million more out there.  

From the fraud team members mouth, " if anyone ever calls you claiming to be from verizon, get there name and department they work in , hang up and call Verizon directly". 

I had his supposed name and departnent i just didn't hang up and call them back to verify it was them.  Don't make my mistake.  

0 Likes
Rockwood

My call came from 925 651 6564 said my account was suspended but offered to reconnect by pressing 1. I ended the call signed on to my verizon account and it is fie. Definately a scam attempt to re-direct the one time code to another phone number. 

0 Likes
Nance9
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just received a call on my cell phone FROM MY CELL PHONE'S NUMBER! It's the same scam as mentioned above, they are claiming to be Verizon and saying my account has been suspended, but I can't block these calls because it's MY NUMBER... I'm concerned that they could make a call that looks like it's coming from me. I tried to contact verzion for help through chat and the 800 number but still haven't gotten through to a live person... Can you tell me if I need to do anything? 

0 Likes
FB09

Hi Nancy,

My best advice is hang up and don't provide ANY information. If you want to be sure its actually Verizon call them and they will tell you if, when and who called you.  My guess its a scam as i was told Verizon won't call you unless your late on a bill.  Either way take the persons name and department they work in. Hang up and call the verizon directly.    

Hope this helps you

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand how alarming the these calls can be. We are here to help. This is called Caller ID Spoofing. You can view more information here http://spr.ly/660816rLO. We do offer a service called Call Filter to help with these types of calls. Take a look here: http://spr.ly/660116rLR; AlbertoR_VZW

0 Likes