Re: Samsung S5 software update
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

From one IT person to another, I would recommend changing your image from the Stock image at this point and using one where you're able to control the ins and outs. You are after all running the Linux kernel in the palm of your hand. Strip it down to it's core, build your own distro, control it. But of course, keep in mind that tripping the KNOX eFuse will void any support Samsung might provide in the future. The issues discussed with the software updates are business and design decisions, not coding issues.

I work with software developers daily, who build extremely scalable systems that currently drive the Internet as we know it, and you most certainly rely on them daily, and trust me - it's not the developers. If they could release a piece of software a few months later, rather than rely on the corporate timeline, and not have to rely on so many embedded frameworks to cram through a project, they could. Unfortunately, and this is especially true at companies like Samsung (A visit to their Korean offices will suffice), the culture is, ship it quickly, patch it later, don't ask questions to management or else. That will probably carry fourth to whenever Samsung's Tizen decides to launch mass scale if that ever happens.

Another example of ship it fast, patch it later is Yahoo Messenger. If you compare the old client to the new client, the new client is practically Google Chrome (if you break apart the data files) running a Web app but requiring 400MB of RAM to run a messenger client. The old one packed far more functionality and used far less resources in the process. The new messenger looks like some designer decided to make the layout in Excel and then used a Gradient macro to make the background. I'm sure it's not the programmers fault for the new client. Compared to the old client, and given how many updates the new client is receiving, it's obvious that it was both rushed to market, and built to be patched later.

Windows 10 would not have gained forced automatic updates if patching was done normally, and more people took the time to submit feedback on what worked and what didn't. People don't have time for that of course, nor care to Computer in that fashion. The last thing we need is another Windows XP where systems to this day still don't run at least the base Service Pack. Thus companies are forced to cater to the lowest common denominator. The security issues like Ann154 linked to above, won't become fixed by relying on users to secure their systems. Nor are users going to consult an actual consultant to do the work (because $$$). Never ending battle.

There is one thing I will say going back to the icon change deal. I am definitely aware of the phycological and physical effects of such a change. In UX Design there is a philosophy that users find things boring, unappealing, and unwelcome if a change isn't made. I find it to be a pile of garbage honestly, but the concept has plagued everything from Smartphones to Websites. Things are not made "simple" and "familiar" because of that design philosophy despite companies insisting that fresh is new and new is fresh, and change must happen!

Anyhow. I don't mean to be mean, but I wanted to explain things from my perspective. I get your reasons not wanting to be forced to upgrade. If you are completely aware of the reasons for and against patching, and want to assume responsibility, that is your choice, and case closed. It shouldn't become Verizon's problem if your phone does become a part of a botnet, chew through your data, and then give Verizon legal problems for hosting a botnetted on their cellular network.

Re: Samsung S5 software update
common

I'm getting updates daily..there must be somethung wrong...how can I fix this?

0 Likes