S5 5.0 Automatic WiFi - won't stay off
NrS_0408

I received the original build when 5.0 was released OTA for the Galaxy s5.  When the "update" was pushed on 3/30, my phone developed an issue where the WiFi setting will turn itself on whenever it recognizes a WiFi.  I have the "smart network switch" unchecked on my setting.  This is a problem because Comcast has a hotspot network set up around Nashville so I'm CONSTANTLY having to turn off the WiFI.  Just to reiterate, this behavior only started after the update on 3/30. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: S5 5.0 Automatic WiFi - won't stay off
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
NrS_0408,

Let's take a look at this Wifi trouble and make sure we find a fix! Once you turn  WiFI off does it turn back on immediately? Did this also start immediately after the update?  I'd start by testing the device in Safe mode to see if there's possibly a third party application advising the phone to turn Wifi on; http://vz.to/1B5LU1C . Thanks!

TrevorC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
NrS_0408,

Let's take a look at this Wifi trouble and make sure we find a fix! Once you turn  WiFI off does it turn back on immediately? Did this also start immediately after the update?  I'd start by testing the device in Safe mode to see if there's possibly a third party application advising the phone to turn Wifi on; http://vz.to/1B5LU1C . Thanks!

TrevorC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
NrS_0408

It wasn't turning on immediately, but it usually happened within about 5 mins of shutting it off.  I did not have this issue with 5.0 prior to the 3/30 update. 

Regarding Safe Mode - that fixed it!!  Here's how it went down - turned it on Safe Mode for a couple of hours and I did NOT experience the concern.  Within 5 mins of switching off safe mode, the WiFi had turned itself on.  Went to application manager and started looking for running apps to narrow down the suspects.  Took a shot and uninstalled a rather useless"Xfinity Wifi Locator" app and it seems to have been the culprit.  Appreciate the help - it was driving me nuts. 

0 Likes