S3 used in conjunction with a network extender - sound drops, but call is still active
atlosci
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have really bad reception at my house, so I purchased a network extender.  It has all blue lights, my phone indicates that it is connecting through the extender and all should be wonderful, however - it's not.  I can start a conversation and randomly the sound from the other party cuts out, but the call is not dropped.  Generally between 5 and 40 seconds later the sound comes back.  They can continue to hear me throughout this lull.

I have a Zoom wireless dsl modem connected to AT&T.  QOS is set to have the network extender have the highest priority.  I'm not connecting to the internet when I'm talking on the phone.

It has become so problematic I may have to go back to having a landline just so I can have a decent conversation in my house.

Do I need to upgrade my modem?  AT&T says that the dsl coming into my house is fine.  I've had one verizon tech mention something about jitter, but I don't know what I can do to correct it.  AT&T won't do anything because they claim my dsl is ok.

Help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: S3 used in conjunction with a network extender - sound drops, but call is still active
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It sounds like you've definitely done a bit of homework on this atlosci. Thanks for all the info! The first thing I'd like to start having you check would be the Network Extender's coverage http://bit.ly/11yYBRE in your home. Also, make sure your router's firmware is up-to-date, since that may sometimes cause the Network Extender to have trouble connecting to your internet's router properly. It would also be a great idea to follow the steps at http://bit.ly/QFd0Zq to make sure there's enough bandwith available for the Network Extender to work properly.

We're here for you if you need additional assistance.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Re: S3 used in conjunction with a network extender - sound drops, but call is still active
atlosci
Enthusiast - Level 2

Jennifer - Thank you for your response. I have verified using #48 that I

am under Network Extender coverage.

Using speedtest I get the following results: Download 6.41 Mbps, upload

.43Mbps

Using voiptest.8x8.com I get the following: Download 3.95 Mbps, upload 424

kbps

Jitter was measured at 20.2 ms which the graph shows as broken sound and

unpredicable. Packet loss 0.2%[image: VoipResults.JPG]

I checked with the modem manufacturer (it is a Zoom ADSL x6) and the

firmware is up to date. I'm not sure what to do from here. Will getting a

new modem help?

Thanks,

Stephanie

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for the additional information! Perhaps a new modem would help, however it would be your option and choice. I have personally noticed newer modems functioning better because of their technology and advancements. I suggest that you inquiry with the new modem manufacture beforehand about it being compatible with the Network Extender. If you need more assistance, please let me know!

Thanks,
EdW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes