Roll over data
lkw0409
Enthusiast - Level 1

When you have roll over data, why isn't it used first the following month instead of your monthly allowance?

The way the system is set up now, there is no benefit to the customers with Verizon's roll over data plan. It appears to just be a marketing scheme/scam.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Roll over data
Weth
Legend

I grant you it is marketing. Everything is designed to sell more.

However, Verizon is certainly able to set it up anyway they would like, as long as it is clearly spelled out somewhere. I would not call it useless as it prevented me from using getting an overage or going into super slow safety mode last month. It is great for when you have an occasional month that is out of the ordinary for you. It is set up exactly like what AT&T offers with their rollover data so there is precedent.

Is it as useless as having no carryover - I think not.

View solution in original post

Weth
Legend

I grant you it is marketing. Everything is designed to sell more.

However, Verizon is certainly able to set it up anyway they would like, as long as it is clearly spelled out somewhere. I would not call it useless as it prevented me from using getting an overage or going into super slow safety mode last month. It is great for when you have an occasional month that is out of the ordinary for you. It is set up exactly like what AT&T offers with their rollover data so there is precedent.

Is it as useless as having no carryover - I think not.

reddeviltj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same question and find the concept to be deceptive.  Sure, it probably works for some people, but, I've been losing data instead of rolling it over and keeping it.

When I go to northern Michigan to our cabin I cannot use my Verizon service - I can, but it's so spotty that I have to sit in a corner in my kitchen just to delete e-mails so they don't pile up.  When I really need the internet I go to the clubhouse and use their wi-fi.

So, what I'm finding since I changed my plan in July is that I only get roll-over data every other month because they use my new data at the beginning of the month.  So, I do lose what I had from the previous month. This past month they threw in 1 GB bonus "just because" data.  No explanation.  However, I do believe I have lost up to 5 GB because of how they apply it. 

Who do I complain to?

I've been a Verizon customer almost from the day the company was formed and don't want to switch.

I do want my data, though, since I am paying for it and don't want to be switching back and forth to adjust my plans.

My cell data is the only method that I can connect to the internet by using my mobile hotspot.  My home is in a rural area where the cable company won't go and satellite just didn't work out.

Verizon!

Fix it!

It's my money and I want what I pay for.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is nothing to fix. It is working as designed. Carryover Data FAQs | Verizon Wireless

See my reply to your other post elsewhere in the community.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

reddeviltj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I do know that it's "working" based on what they're telling us.  However, it only works every other month.  So, that means every other month I lose original data that I didn't get to use.

According to VZ, that isn't supposed to happen.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

reddeviltj wrote:

I do know that it's "working" based on what they're telling us. However, it only works every other month. So, that means every other month I lose original data that I didn't get to use.

According to VZ, that isn't supposed to happen.

Yes.  It is.  Verizon called it Carry Over data and says your unused bad plan will carry over for one month.

You aren't paying for an extra feature for the privilege of carrying data over.  It's a free perk.  It is designed to keep control of network usage. 

There are more complaints than before carry over.  Give people an inch and they want the whole yard.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since July what is your plan allowance? How much data did you use for each billing cycle?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You do realize you are not buying 16 GB of data to use at anytime forever. You purchase 16 GB to use over the course of 1 month, that is your contractual agreement. Carryover extends your ability to use that 16 GB for 1 additional month.

reddeviltj
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am a pretty intelligent technologically adept person.

Yes, I have a 16 GB plan since I had one additional line released from my account.  Since I do not have any other source of Internet where I live I need to have a higher GB plan and do watch usage daily.

My cycle runs the 13th through the 12th. 

According the the Data Hub screen that I am looking at right now on my cell phone screen, for this month I had 4.44 GB carried over.  I was up at our cabin for 3 weeks and couldn't use anything since the signal is so bad.  We all know our cycles are 4 weeks or so.  I did catch up on photo uploads and kindle updates when I returned since it seemed silly to see if they would roll over 14GB since that's what I came home with.

The Hub also states that I have 9.79/16GB available right now and that 4.44/4.44GB will be used next.

Do you see what I'm saying here?

Let's say I go back up to Northern Michigan where VZ doesn't have a tower any longer.  When we bought our vacation home our signal was excellent.  Then, 2 years later - nothing at all.  So, if I go up north for another week and continue to use my data at my current rate of .66 per day there will be GB of my ORIGINAL left when I return.

VZ will not roll over the 4.44.  I get that and knew that all along.

What I am getting at here is that part of my original 16 may not get touched.  It also doesn't roll over.  I've already experienced that where I start the next month with just the 16GB because the carry-over wasn't used.

That's what I've been trying to get at here.  Where does it go?  I'm not going to use my data to go back and do research on my previous statements here. 

I just have a simple question.  Where does it go?  As I said, I've been a VZ customer from the start of VZ and have had many months where I've paid for data that was never used.   It got to the point that I would make sure I used as much as I could without hitting an overage just to get what I'm paying for.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Your 16 GBs base plan is used before your carry over is used.

It's the "untouched" portion of the base plan that would be rolled over to next month if you don't use it.

So if you have a total of 20 gigs to use this month, use it up.  There is no benefit to curbing data use every month because you lose th 4.4 you carried over.

0 Likes