Robot Calls
khbaker7

Why hasn't Verizon blocked robot calls on their network? Let's not play dumb, the National Do Not Call Registry can't deal with the growing number of robot calls. This is YOUR network so YOU should address the issue. All cell services have been avoiding this issue.  I have no interest in blocking anymore numbers that change on a daily basis. Like most paid service providers who avoid annoying problems, the first company who actually fixes this issue is the one i'll be moving to, regardless of how "good" the current service is. vzw-admin​ got any real answers or just another excuse?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Robot Calls
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

There are MANY MANY threads on this topic. Please search and you will find all of the information you need. The community has discussed this and at this point the horse is dead. Plenty of information and suggestion for users like you that is already floating around the community.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The underlying problems with the Robocalls boil down to A: Bad people, and B: The underlying telephone network being unauthenticated.

The first problem is clearly an issue we can't solve, beyond enforcing laws.

The second problem is something all Telephone companies, Verizon included, must agree to work together on to fix. They haven't done this so far yet because "it costs too much" and would "inconvenience the customer."

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

The problem with robo-calls is not bad people. It is the technology that allows them to call bunch of number at once to get people on the phone. Before this technology, people would have to manually dial the the telephone which meant lower productivity numbers. I used to work in an outbound call center. If I had to dial number manually, I wouldn't have talked to half of the people I did on a daily basis.

The problem with the SCAM telephone calls is bad people. THAT it the difference.

Robo-calls aren't necessarily scam calls. Sometime they are a local politician with a friendly reminder to vote. I even get call from Walgreen's when I have a prescription ready. That is a robo-call but it isn't a scam call.

What people want is for the phone company to block all robo-calls and that is unacceptable. What people SHOULD be doing is being proactive and using the option to be removed from the list. This is how I have solved this issue and get maybe 3 of these calls a month. For Verizon to block robo-calls, they'd have to block them all and that would include the good ones.

0 Likes
MHATAY

"The problem with robo-calls is not bad people"

I beg to differ,  they are crooks trying to scam you.

And what proves this point is they hide their identity by spoofing the origins phone number.

they do not respect the DNC list, and pressing 3 to remove yourself from the list is a joke.

Lest make a distinction between Robo-calls and automated services.

Legitimate automated calls use a real number and can be identified. 

Caller ID will show that it is your pharmacy or a Dr. appointment reminder.

And as far as I concerned, that politician should respect the DNC list too

The network operators know exactly where the hacks are coming from, every bit of data has an origin and designation and software monitors activity closely. reports are generated and it is based on that data that they can "tag" the call as "potential fraud"

The conflict is when undesirable conduct brings in revenues. somebody is paying for the network time.

Fortunately, there is a solution. Verizon will sell you a service that will alert you when a suspect call comes in.

Why don't they just alert you or block them in the first place....

Let's see, $2.99 times 143.000.000 users is how much?

Its all about the money.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

There is no difference between an automated service and a robot-call just because you say there is.

If there is a computer doing the dialing rather than a person then it is a robo-call. Whether or not it is using an actual caller ID or a fake one. You can't change the words and call it something different.

Also, the do not call list will apply for those companies operating INSIDE the USA. If these companies are not in the USA they're harder to apply this law to.

As I keep saying, use the opt out feature. It works. Stop asking for Verizon to blanket block these calls. I don't pay Verizon to block calls. I pay them to connect calls. That is what they do and they do it well. If you don't want these calls then don't have a phone.

0 Likes
MHATAY

Well, folks, don't get rid of your phone yet as suggested in the previous post because we have a powerful ally that agrees with us. perhaps a real Superman?

Ajit V. Pai Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission is working on a law that would give network operators the authority to remove calls that spoof their origin. as hiding or misrepresenting your identity is illegal and a clear intent to mislead and circumvent the law.

Databases of telemarketers that abide by the terms of use agreement will avoid blocking legitimate call centers. (Centers that respect the do-not-call list and have a WORKING opt-out)

Also, calls will be checked against the North American Numbering Plan so calls from unassigned numbers can be blocked.

Perhaps one for the good guys?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

That same chairman is considering allowing ringless voicemails. Are you sure they have the best interests of the customers in mind?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

The same one who will destroy net neutrality? I scoff!

0 Likes