Re: Robocalls Why doesn't Verizon do a better job of blocking
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mikefurnish,

We've all gotten unwanted calls before and agree that spoofed calls are a nuisance. Sprmankalel is right, a good option to use would be FamilyBase or even Call & Message blocking as shown on this link http://vz.to/2dGijdo . Options to prevent these unwanted calls from spoofers are limited as there is truly no way for us to tell that a number is fake. If the above options do not work for you, the next best thing would be to use check your device's Do Not Disturb settings to see if you can limit calls to your contact list only.

ShawnteJ_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
mikefurnish
Enthusiast - Level 2

I use my phone for business.  I can't disconnect it if I want to earn an income.

I'm not sure why Verizon can't offer their customers an option to block fake numbers and/or calls from known scammers.  It must be because they don't really care about the problem.

Another issue, I have is when a number is blocked (I have over 50 numbers from scammers blocked on my phone, I still get a 3 second voice message from the scammer.  Why can't they add an option to prevent the scammer (if blocked) from leaving a message.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

There isn't a way to tell if a caller ID is fake.

If you block a number through your device the caller is sent to voicemail. That is the device.

Again, you are asking for something that is in direct contradiction of what Verizon is in business to do which is connect calls. Verizon starts blocking these calls, something gets coded in the system incorrectly during an update, you stop receiving legitimate calls, you lose business, you're back here complaining about how terrible the blocking service is and finally we tell you that you shouldn't have asked for it to begin with but you insisted and now you're not getting what you want. This is only one possible scenario.

0 Likes
JES41010
Enthusiast - Level 2

But that still doesn’t explain why blocking any number more than five

numbers has a related cost to the customer. It really doesn’t.

If it is not possible for Verizon to decipher which are robocalls and any

computer can constantly dial through the Verizon system, (although I have

read other providers do a better job), again, explain why there is a charge

for more than 5 numbers being blocked?

JES41010
Enthusiast - Level 2

And not everyone is in business.

Let’s make up a different scenario. I am NOT using my Verizon phone for

business. I am a sitting duck. I am a 95 year old in ill health trying to

get some rest and peace, ill equipped to deal with constant computerized

robocalls and sales pitches (many of which involve criminal pitch activity).

But I leave my phone on by my bed or sofa because I might need it in an

emergency. And don’t want to miss a family call. Exactly the kind of

victim the robocall companies are looking for.

JES41010
Enthusiast - Level 2

And one more thing:

When I block the number on my device, the computerized robo caller just

keeps changing the last four digits the call is allegedly coming from, so

the call goes through.

Please don’t respond to these emails. I really found your response

completely lacking. Again, you failed to address the charge for more than 5

blocks. That kind of response just insults customers.

If you work for Verizon, they should not have you responding to these

emails.

mikefurnish
Enthusiast - Level 2

You find every excuse for the spammers and scammers to contact us.  You must be in that type of business!

You "If you block a number through your device the caller is sent to voicemail. That is the device."

You mean the phone I got from Verizon that is loaded with Verizon software can't prevent a block number from leaving a message?  It seems to me that if the customer wants to prevent block numbers from leaving messages it would be very simple but Verizon would rather support the scammers and spammers than their paying customers. 

Don't tell me that Verizon cant determine a fake number.

JES41010
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

The charge is for exactly what you're asking for, the option to decide who gets through and who doesn't.

I don't work for Verizon. Never attempted to represent myself as an employee. You have posted on a community forum where everyone is allowed to respond to a post. That is what forums are for.

It isn't until our government starts cracking down on auto dialed calls that this will truly be solved. Making it so that these people have to manually dial the numbers they're trying to reach will slow down their productivity. So, my suggestion is to write to your congressman and express your concerns. Until then, Verizon is completely doing the right thing and what we pay them for, connecting the calls made to our telephone numbers.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

I have lines on more than one network, and I get calls like this on both lines, it's not something the carriers can stop. If I don't recognize a number I don't answer. It's not hard to do and problem solved.

0 Likes