Return iPhone 1st at Best Buy or Get New Line and another iPhone 6 1st at Verizon?
CMW48
Enthusiast - Level 2

Three days ago I bought an iPhone 6 at Best Buy and paid full price on the Edge program - $799.99 and added a new line with this purchase. Today, I received an email from Verizon for $200 off an iPhone 6 with a new line. I called Verizon to see if they would apply it to the phone I just purchased but of course they will not. I still can return the phone to Best Buy. Here's my question; Should I go to Verizon first and sign up an additional line and get the iPhone for $200 less and then return the other phone to Best Buy? Will it work like that and will Best Buy take off the additional phone line when I return that phone? Another thing, Verizon is advertising their phones for $50 cheaper than the cost at Best Buy so I might end up saving $250, unless Verizon tacks on some other fees (which I wouldn't be surprised if they do that.)

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Return iPhone 1st at Best Buy or Get New Line and another iPhone 6 1st at Verizon?
CMW48
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was able to return the iPhone today to Best Buy and was not charged a restocking fee (yea!) *Tip - do not leave the store until you know for certain the line was removed, not just the phone! I had to call and resolve the issue, before I could use my email coupon at the Verizon store.

At Verizon I was able to successfully use the coupon and saved $200 plus another $20 in sales taxes, due to the cheaper price. I did have to go to the Edge plan and add another line (just like I had already done at Best Buy.) It took awhile and I had to sit through several sales pitches but held my ground and saved some money!

Verizon said if I did bring this phone back there would be a restocking fee ($40-$45) but I could get the line taken off if I did all this within the next 14 days.

FYI - about the Best Buy $799.99 cost of the iPhone - Best Buy did tell me that they sold me the phone for $749.99 and not the $799.99 that was on my receipt - a bit confusing, but that's what they said - that the receipts don't always match up with the contract, and the contract did show $749.99.

So glad this didn't cost me any more money, just a hassle, and in the end I saved about $220 altogether!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Return iPhone 1st at Best Buy or Get New Line and another iPhone 6 1st at Verizon?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

If you go to Verizon you will have to add another line to get the iPhone and then when you return your old phone to best buy they will most likely charge you a restocking fee, to top it off you'll still have to pay for the line you added at Best Buy OR pay the early termination fee.

Not sure there is a work around on any of it, the only thing that would make it worth it is if Best Buy will let you cancel that other line without any fees.

0 Likes
CMW48
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the answer. I did call Verizon again tonight but this time just asked if I returned the phone to Best Buy would I still have an add-on line. They said no, that if I return the phone within 14 days there will be no added line. I will go to Best Buy tomorrow and see what they actually say when I return the phone.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

That would be fantastic if they would do that. I guess I always thought that it was only a 14 day return policy on the phone, not the whole contract. Please do report back, I'm curious to know. Do keep in mind that you still may pay a small restocking fee, but still well worth it if you can save an additional $200-$250.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Best Buy should have the same 14 day return policy.  $35 restock fee and the line is cancelled.  Then go to Verizon for their deal.  Don't get another line and then try to return a line. You have to go in reverse to go forward.  Fix one thing before doing another thing.

0 Likes
CMW48
Enthusiast - Level 2

That sounds like a good plan. Thanks!

0 Likes
CMW48
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will let you know how it goes.

0 Likes
CMW48
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was able to return the iPhone today to Best Buy and was not charged a restocking fee (yea!) *Tip - do not leave the store until you know for certain the line was removed, not just the phone! I had to call and resolve the issue, before I could use my email coupon at the Verizon store.

At Verizon I was able to successfully use the coupon and saved $200 plus another $20 in sales taxes, due to the cheaper price. I did have to go to the Edge plan and add another line (just like I had already done at Best Buy.) It took awhile and I had to sit through several sales pitches but held my ground and saved some money!

Verizon said if I did bring this phone back there would be a restocking fee ($40-$45) but I could get the line taken off if I did all this within the next 14 days.

FYI - about the Best Buy $799.99 cost of the iPhone - Best Buy did tell me that they sold me the phone for $749.99 and not the $799.99 that was on my receipt - a bit confusing, but that's what they said - that the receipts don't always match up with the contract, and the contract did show $749.99.

So glad this didn't cost me any more money, just a hassle, and in the end I saved about $220 altogether!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Outstanding.  That $50 difference might have been an in-store rebate.  Glad that worked for you! Smiley Happy

Snn5
Legend

Glad we got one mess sorted before getting another started. Smiley Happy  You're welcome and best wishes.