Re: [Resolved!] Verizon Wireless -> Google Voice Number Porting
dsmero
Enthusiast - Level 3

also, theres an app for Android called Groove IP that will allow you to place Google Voice calls without using minutes. It uses your data connection (3g, 4g or wifi) to place calls. I have it on my phone and tablet and it works awesome.

0 Likes
calengineer

Hi dsmero, thanks for posting such detailed instructions. I was wondering if you've made it through a billing cycle and everything is still good to go. Also, if you don't mind, what state are you in? Just curious since one of the original replies mentioned that it has to be a state that Google is in. I'm going to try this over the weekend.

0 Likes
dsmero
Enthusiast - Level 3

No problem. I've made it through 2 billing cycles no problem. I actually canceled my 1000 text message plan and went to pay per messaging. Using Google Voice to do the text messaging doesn't require a Verizon text messaging plan. As long as you use the Google Voice app and not the integrated messaging app no additional charges should apply. I saved $20.

I am in MD. I'm not sure how true it is that you need to be in a state that Google Voice serves. Wasn't aware of such a thing and can't find any information online to support that.

0 Likes
maguswizard
Enthusiast - Level 2

It worked for me in NJ. My billing cycle hasn't quite completed yet but it looks like everything is going to be fine. I'm going to cancel my text message plan a few days after my next cycle starts.

0 Likes
CaptainStrange

I was successful in porting the number from Verizon Wireless to Google Voice! I followed the instructions in this thread to the letter and it worked for me!

As of this morning, I received a confirmation from Google Voice that the number ported. In addition, my Verizon Wireless service is still active and I still have my unlimited data listed as a feature. I am able to forward calls now using my ported number at Google Voice. Text messages haven't started working yet, but I imagine that should start working in the next few days. When I changed numbers, Verizon gave me an easier number than what I previously had that has practically repeating numbers! I wish I could switch all my friends and family to THAT number lol. But, to save a number I've had for nearly 10 years, $20 and the thrill were worth it. I'm from Maryland if that's helpful to anyone. I thought that I would revive this old thread for any other adventurous people lol. Thanks dsmero and everyone for posting your success! That gave me faith to give it a shot!

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Wireless -> Google Voice Number Porting
ReadyToSwitch

Yup. I moved to Cricket, which canceled my Vzw. Cricket was so bad I switched back in two days. Couple of minor billing issues (my account number kept the basic part but went from -0001 to -0002 when I came back). You have 30 days, they report the number back and waive the reactivation fee.

All in all, I was impressed with how smooth it went. And with how bad Cricket is.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Wireless -> Google Voice Number Porting
Tidbits
Legend

If you try and do it with another carrier this is what will happen...  2 of the 3 numbers will go into limbo.

Your temp number on the new carrier will work inbound and outbound.

Your Verizon line will not work for up to 24 hours (no calls, text), but you will get data.  Your new number, and the number you are porting over does not work.

I just tried it with an old dummy line at our workplace.  No extension of contract, unlimited data still there.

I did hear a story about someone trying it and he had trouble with it and the rep spent around 40 minutes just for the guy to get his old number back.

0 Likes
nighthawk68

I am working on getting the nerve up to do this.. i just contacted Verizon via chat support and they kept repeating that my account will be cancelled... still a bit gun shy!

0 Likes
dsmero
Enthusiast - Level 3

they told me the same thing but then again i was able to do so without issue. i think they are telling you this because customer support is trained to read a script.

best of luck.

0 Likes
jmonkeyj

it looks like i just successfully pulled this off. my VZW # is now associated with google voice but i still have cell service (including unlimited data) with a new number. the port just went thru, so it remains to be seen if VZW will cancel my contract, but i'm cautiously optimistic.

some tips i haven't seen elsewhere:

- for my VZW account# in google voice, i did not put the -00001 part

- google requests a billing PIN. this is what VZW calls the billing password. i didn't have one, so i made one before i went thru with the porting. i'm not sure if that was necessary (i don't think it was), but since i did it i thought i would mention it.

0 Likes