Re: [Resolved!] Verizon Wireless -> Google Voice Number Porting
ReadyToSwitch

I would change the billing password again after you're satisfied that the port's complete. Once google gets it, your VZW privacy is at risk. I don't trust any search engine. I know how they make money.

The -00001 in your account is important. I went to Cricket for two days. When I came back they used the same VZW account number but changed the suffix to -00002. When I sent payments in, they were credited to the account-suffix I had put in my online bill-pay payee ID (-00001) and I went two months getting further behind on -00002 and getting a bigger credit balance on -00001.

0 Likes
jmonkeyj

you are correct that it is important for VERIZON -- they somehow must use it internally to link you back up with all their old data on you if you come back to verizon. but for GOOGLE VOICE, you do not want to include the -0001 (or -0002 or whatever) portion of your account number. you can't even include dashes in the google voice form, so just leave that whole part off.

i'm telling you from experience that this works, and not to include that part of your account number 😉

0 Likes
Traina

Google states:

"Your mobile phone service plan will be terminated when you port your number to Google Voice and your carrier may charge you an early termination fee. You may also experience disruptions in sending and receiving text messages for up to 3 business days after the porting process is complete."

http://support.google.com/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1065667

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Yes we know but this works if done right. I've done it to a dummy line without a contract and with an unlimited data plan.

0 Likes
dsmero
Enthusiast - Level 3

This does indeed work and still works to date. While it may not be a sure bet, it seems to be the only real method.

Verizon may not want everyone to know or do this easily as it will allow everyone to cancel their text plans. No need for a text plan when Google Voice is 100% free.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Nothing is 100% free. You give Google data they can sell to offer you these "free" services.

0 Likes
Max725

I am very interested in doing this - I have been using Voice for VM and such for some time, and would really like to port my VZW number to it so that I can also use Voice for texts an set it up so that my VZW number rings all my phones.

However, when I try to change my Voice number (without doing anything with VZW), it says that the 603 area code (my NH code) is not available in Voice.

Does that mean I cannot port my number, or am I doing something wrong?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

That means that state may have laws like Hawaii. You need a physical address to do business in that state as a telecom and is for the residents of that state. Since Google has no physical address and not registered as a telecom they can't have access to that area code.

0 Likes
Lakedubvt

I just recently attempted this and my port to Google Voice failed. I followed the original post instructions but for some reason it dis not work for me. I am currently trying to get my old number back, which is turning out to be a headache.

0 Likes
gr8_britten

I just did this Dec 24th.  I was quite stressed due to the last post saying it wouldn't work but I charged ahead anyway since I didn't see much for other options.  I am happy to report that this worked perfectly!  Support had said that there was no way of doing this since my number was tied to the contract.  However, I think that since you change the number online, your contract gets changed automatically and so you don't lose anything.  No troubles yet, though I think I'm still waiting on text messaging to come through.  Thanks to the OP for figuring this out!

0 Likes