Reception is really bad in Chicago (60614,60657)
HCCAUS

I switched from T-Mobile to Verizon to get better reception.

I live around the border of the zipcode 60614 and 60657. Inside my apartment, I never get reception but I can only make calls through Wi-Fi.

Also, when I step outside of my apartment, the signal is only 1 bar for LTE, 1bar for 3G and 1bar for 1X.

This is horrible. My neighbor uses T-Mobile and able to talk to their counterparts even inside the elevator.

Inside the elevator, I have no data, no reception at all but yet I pay more than them!

What is wrong with the service in my area? I noticed that Verizon's cell towers aren't that many in Chicago metropolitan area.

Should I consider switching to a different carrier??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Reception is really bad in Chicago (60614,60657)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

HCCASUS, we understand the importance of a strong reliable signal. Thanks for reaching out to us here. I don't get too many people with an issue in the city of Chicago with regard to signal strength. How long has this been going? Did this happen right when you switched over to us? Do you know of other Verizon users in that area experiencing the same issue? How far do you have to travel to get a better signal?

JoeyM_VZW            

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
HCCAUS

It's been like this since 2015 August. That's when I switched from T-Mobile. My wife's phone is also experiencing the same issue. We both use Note 5, purchased directly from Verizon store 840 N Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60611)

I do not have friends who uses Verizon in my area.

The reception is very bad and sometimes don't get service at all.

Image 2.png

Above red square is the area that I'm concerned about. If I enter a building, it is hard to get a reception. When I'm in a restaurant, supermarket, gym... no reception or 1 bar of 3G or 1 bar of 1X connection.

I have tried switching out my SIM card by exchanging from the store (actually done it twice on mine and once on my wife's), factory resetting more than 3 times and so on.

Better receptions can only be obtained when I'm outside of the red box above but it really depends where I am. I have to assume that my phone is consuming more battery than usual due to poor reception from Verizon, where my phone is trying to amplify the signal by juicing out the batter power.

I'm seriously considering to switch back to T-Mobile or some other carriers. I live in a 7th floor apartment and having no reception is ridiculous and nonsense in 2017.

I have seen people inside the elevator in my apartment who gets phone calls and have no trouble talking over the phone while the elevator is moving.

It's fine with the elevator but in a 1 bedroom apartment on a 7th floor having no reception from Verizon is crazy.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

HCCAUS, thank you for that helpful information. It would sadden us to see you go elsewhere, you belong in our family. It definitely sounds like the signal is degraded in the area if multiple individuals are experiencing the same issue. We also understand the importance of having a reliable signal indoors, but, we can't guarantee it. There are too many variables that can play into signal issues. Do you have high speed internet in your apartment?

JoeyM_VZW            

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
HCCAUS

I have to use WiFi calling inside my apartment, otherwise I won't be able to make calls at all.

However, even with my 155Mbps Internet, sometimes I do not get calls.

I've read people complaining in my area from online communities (e.g., cell reception reporting websites) The addresses that they posted were within the red box I provided in the previous post.

0 Likes