Re-use of LTE Sim Card
GirlGenius88

Hello,

I first want to start off by apologizing if this has been asked before.  I've paged through several discussions and haven't found my answer yet.

I know that in the past, the ability to do a hardware swap and "re-use" a SIM did not exist.  If you gave your LTE phone to someone else, or activated one for the first time, you had to have a brand-spankin' new SIM or else it wouldn't work.  I've heard rumors that Verizon recently gave consumers the ability to use the same SIM through multiple transactions, but I have yet to have someone who's actually done this confirm the rumor.

Anyways, I'm looking to use the upgrade from a spare line on my account to purchase the iPhone 5.  As most probably know, this new iPhone uses a Micro SIM, which no other phone has used in the past.  I'm going to upgrade this spare line, then put it back on the flip phone it's on now and pay $9.99 a month on my Family Share plan.  Finally, I'm looking to put the iPhone 5 (and Micro SIM) on the line I personally use.

Will I need to acquire an extra SIM from Verizon to complete this transaction?  Something tells me that when I put the spare line back on it's flip phone, the SIM will be junk.  The reason I don't want to do a "buddy upgrade" on Verizon's website is because I have unlimited data I want to keep.  I'll need two transactions to be able to keep it.  I'm 100% willing to buy another SIM from Verizon, but would like to know if this is necessary before I get all giddy when the iPhone comes in the mail.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Re-use of LTE Sim Card
ChaunceyM_VZW
Contributor - Level 3

I have great news, GirlGenius88! You will be able to utilize the upgrade from your eligible line and activate the iPhone 5 on the number of your choice. The best part is that you will not need a new SIM card. When the phone arrives go to www.vzw.com and activate the device. I hope this helps.

ChaunceyM_VZWSupport

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ChaunceyM_VZW
Contributor - Level 3

I have great news, GirlGenius88! You will be able to utilize the upgrade from your eligible line and activate the iPhone 5 on the number of your choice. The best part is that you will not need a new SIM card. When the phone arrives go to www.vzw.com and activate the device. I hope this helps.

ChaunceyM_VZWSupport

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jpressley34
Enthusiast - Level 3

Perfect.

0 Likes
GirlGenius88

This definitely IS great news.  That saves me an extra trip to the Verizon Store!

Not that I wasn't going to go anyways to check out some cases... Smiley Happy

0 Likes