Question re: upgrading a line and then swapping phones...
sraj14

I have four lines on my account. Two of the lines are iPhone 4 with unlimited data plans. Two are not smart phones and therefore do not have a data plan. I now have the opportunity to upgrade one of my non-smart phones for a discounted price. I would like to upgrade this phone to an iPhone 5. After I upgrade, I would like to swap the iPhone 5 with one of the iPhone 4. Is this possible?

Also, when I upgrade the non-smart phone to the iPhone 5, I think I will not be getting unlimited data on that line because Verizon got rid of the unlimited plan a while back. The two phones that have the unlimited data plans were grand-fathered in. If I swap the iPhone 5 with an iPhone 4 (which has an unlimited plan), will I jeopardize the unlimited data plan in existence?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Question re: upgrading a line and then swapping phones...
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

sraj14 wrote:

I have four lines on my account. Two of the lines are iPhone 4 with unlimited data plans. Two are not smart phones and therefore do not have a data plan. I now have the opportunity to upgrade one of my non-smart phones for a discounted price. I would like to upgrade this phone to an iPhone 5. After I upgrade, I would like to swap the iPhone 5 with one of the iPhone 4. Is this possible?   unless something has changed recently, you should be able to do that

Also, when I upgrade the non-smart phone to the iPhone 5, I think I will not be getting unlimited data on that line because Verizon got rid of the unlimited plan a while back.   correct; you would have to choose one of the tiered data plans (i.e., $30 for 2 GB)

The two phones that have the unlimited data plans were grand-fathered in. If I swap the iPhone 5 with an iPhone 4 (which has an unlimited plan), will I jeopardize the unlimited data plan in existence?   unless something has changed recently, no

Thanks in advance for your responses.

0 Likes
Re: Question re: upgrading a line and then swapping phones...
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi sraj14! It sounds like you have your eye on a great phone! And with so many options, I can see why you're double checking what will change. We're going to call Line A the basic phone eligible for an upgrade and Line B the line that currently has unlimited data with the iPhone 4.

When you upgrade Line A to a smartphone like the iPhone 5, it will need a new data plan. You can pick between just adding on a plan like the 2GB for $30, or you can switch over all 4 lines to the Share Everything http://bit.ly/LWsodg plan. Totally up to you. Then if you want to swap phones between Line A and Line B after the upgrade is complete, you can definitely make the switch without changing your data plan on Line B (unless, of course, you decide the Share Everything plan would work for you). Line B would only need to change the unlimited data plan if that's the line signing a new contract to get a discounted phone. You can keep you unlimited if the phone is purchased at retail, through a third-party, or on another line.

Enjoy your new phone!

JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport