Purchasing Phone from Friend
PureRomancebyKristan

If I purchase a phone from a friend then activate on my current account will I lose my insurance coverage I currently have on the phone I bought from VZ?  Also, if I don't currently have a data package and will need one for the new phone, do I need to renew my contract or can it just be added to my current account?  I'm not eligible for an upgrade.  Thank you in advance for your help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Purchasing Phone from Friend
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't believe that you would be eligible for insurance on used phone from your friend. You can add the data package without extending your contract.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I have one question, which device did you have before you bought the device from your friend and what device are you transferring to?   This is a factor on transferring the data plan because if you had a basic device then you will have to change your data plan to a smartphone plan and sometimes this can change factors in contract but it still shouldn't extend contract.

As for the insurance, once you buy a device from someone it is classified as a used device that looses all warranty because warranty is usually for original sale so this means that Verizon will not cover the device under their insurance policies.  This means you can not transfer it to the replacement device.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi PureRomancebyKristan!  Glad you were able to obtain another device from a friend!  I’d be happy to answer your questions.  First, I’d like to thank the other Community members for their feedback!  As they have mentioned, if you obtained a device from another source other than Verizon Wireless, the insurance & warranty coverage will not transfer to your new device.  With that being said, if you’re still paying for the insurance premium after activating the device you purchased from your friend, you would want to have it removed.  You can log into your My Verizon account online to remove the feature.  Glad we were able to answer your questions & address your concerns.  Have a Great Day!

AnthonyTa_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jason2144

I too am in the same situation. I am purchasing a "used" phone that is in 100% working and cosmetic condition. When I called Verizon Wireless, they told me the same thing as the customer support mentioned in the post above.

So what happens in a situation if like my wife and I want to swap phones for a week for whatever reason and just swap sim cards. So you just completely loose coverage and can never get it back?

So, then I called Asurion directly, and they gave me a completely difference answer. They pulled up my Verizon information, and they said the insurance follows the phone number on the Verizon account, and NOT the device. They said you can swap out our device as many times as you want by switching sims and you are covered.

So which is the correct answer? I'm leaning towards Asurion since they are the actual insurer and Verizon is just the reseller.

Thanks,

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

jason2144 wrote:

So, then I called Asurion directly, and they gave me a completely difference answer. They pulled up my Verizon information, and they said the insurance follows the phone number on the Verizon account, and NOT the device. They said you can swap out our device as many times as you want by switching sims and you are covered.

I can't imagine this could possibly be correct. What would keep someone from activating a broken phone on a line with insurance just to get it replaced by Asurion?

0 Likes