Punished for being a loyal customer
rachel12b
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am VERY upset with Verizon and if they don't change, I will. My husband and I have been loyal Verizon customers since they bought out Alltel in 2005 or 2006. At the current time we have one account with 4 lines but when we were still paying our older children's bills we had two accounts with 9 lines total. In other words, we have given Verizon a LOT of our hard-earned money over the years.

A year or so ago I made the mistake of upgrading my husband and my lines. It was a mistake because we had been on an on Alltel plan and had unlimited everything, including data. I had a feeling I was doing the wrong thing but it was the only way I could get two shiny new iPhone 5s for free. So I did it. When my daughter wanted to upgrade I made her save up to pay full price because there's no way we could pay the bill if she lost her unlimited data. My son needs his unlimited too. So they're basically stuck unless we want to pay full price for phones. Or buy used ones on eBay or something.

Imagine my excitement when I heard Verizon was hanging the rules and now I would be able to get my son a new phone without having to pay full price!!  He NEEDS a new phone. His old one won't hold a charge anyone. It's completely unreliable.

But that rule change doesn't apply to our account. Nope. The reason why? Our plan is too old. We still can't upgrade without losing our unlimited data. The rule change only applies to certain old Verizon plans. The customer service rep I spoke with today tried everything she could think of. She called several different people. She worked hard for an hour and a half but it just cannot be done.

I feel like we are being punished for being loyal customers. Like I said, we have spent thousands of dollars with Verizon in the past 10 years. I'm not asking for a free phone. I'm willing to make the monthly payments on it. I'm just asking to keep the plan I chose without losing the benefits the plans offers. I shouldn't be forced to change plans in order to upgrade. I feel I deserve to keep my plan. Have we not at least earned that by being loyal customers all these years?

By the way I cancelled my wifi service because they did the same thing to me for that. I was stuck on 3G because if I upgraded to LTE I would lose my data package. I'm at the point now where those commercials for the other companies with unlimited data are starting to look really appealing.

Labels (1)
Re: Punished for being a loyal customer
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rachel12b,

I’m concerned hearing this. We never like losing any of our loyal customers like yourself, nor do we want you feeling punished. As a consumer, I can relate why you would want to hang onto your plan, especially if it’s working for you.

Let’s look into options. I’ve sent you a private message here in the forum. Please check your inbox at https://community.verizonwireless.com/inbox to discuss further details about your concern.

KatiM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

As much as other carriers are awesome with unlimited data, even T-Mobile is pivoting away from Unlimited mobile, but then, with Binge On and Music Freedom, one doesn't need unlimited data...for the most part, there are those who do of course.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

There is much misinformation in your post. 

IF you have a 3G phone and you bring or buy full price LTE phone, you do not lose your unlimited data package and you can keep the same plan. 

IF you have an unlimited plan, you should be able to do a device payment plan now.  You could also consider doing a payment plan through Apple for the phone and just transfer the new phone.  You have options. 

Verizon wants old unlimited plans gone, and does not make it easy.  However you are no longer on contract and certainly there is no "I deserve unlimited forever" as a valid complaint.  Buy what is best for you, forget the loyalty feeling for large corporations.  It's just business and loyalty is just a marketing term. 

rachel12b
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't believe I shared any misinformation.

I mentioned in my original post that I could pay full price for a phone and keep my plan. I don't want to pay full price.

I also mentioned that my plan is not included in the "device payment plan" upgrade option. I said that the plan is too old. The only plans customer service can upgrade without me losing unlimited data are VERIZON plans. As I mentioned, my plan is an ALLTEL plan. The rep tried for 1 1/2 hours to change it. It cannot be done.

No, I'm no longer under contract (as of just recently with two of the lines finally going out of contract) so yes, I could leave Verizon and I mentioned I might do that if they can't find a solution to my problem. I  think loyalty means something to some companies. We will see if Verizon is one of them.

Nyobie_B
Contributor - Level 1

IMHO, you're being unreasonable.  Verizon Unlimited Data plans are still honored under the grandfathered contract just like you said but you really shouldn't expect that you can have the best of both the old plan, and the new rules.

If you want Unlimited Data, there's a trade-off.  You have to pay full price for devices.  These device manufacturers don't create the most amazing electronic gizmos on the planet just to give them away.  There are hundreds of millions of dollars of research that goes into the creation and manufacturing of these devices.  Every piece of the food chain is affected by what we're willing to pay.  If you want the best that technology has to offer, it should never be expected to come at a discount, or for free, simply because you've been paying for a service for years.  Loyalty based on time you're with a service my dear, has nothing to do with running a business.

0 Likes
rachel12b
Enthusiast - Level 3

*Sigh* Did you read my original post? What did I ask for that was unreasonable?  I stated that I didn't expect a free phone and that I was willing to make monthly payments on the phone. I simply want to keep the plan I have had for years. That's NOT unreasonable. Other people with unlimited plans are allowed to do it. My plan just "keyed in" to the system to allow it. I'm not asking for anything that's not allowed!!

rachel12b
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'd kindly ask if you don't have something relevant to this conversation you just not post in it. I'm tired of people skimming through my original post and making comments that are inaccurate and that aren't helpful. I'm already frustrated enough.

rachel12b
Enthusiast - Level 3

And I meant:

My plan just **isn't** "keyed in" to the system to allow it.

Before someone corrects me on that.

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You are aware of the situation with your account. You won't be able to get a new device without paying full retail. If you're wanting to upgrade to iPhone 6s/6s plus you may still be able to do the payment plan if you can qualify for Apple's version of it. If you qualify (good credit and have a credit card that they can do automatic monthly payments on) then that should be your loophole around Verizon's ban on upgrading using their payment plan. But if you just don't want to have to pay full retail at all then you're either stuck or you will have to resort to buying slightly used devices (and some new) from somewhere like eBay or Swappa. Or...you can check other carriers like you said you may do. Chances are you will have to pay full retail with them also. But if they can give you the service you need with the coverage you need and a device the way that you want then that just may be what you need to do. The rules are what they are and your amount of time with Verizon has nothing to do with it. In this case you have a plan that was never a Verizon plan to begin with as you were originally an Alltel customer. So you have something that no original Verizon customer (meaning they didn't become a customer due to their original provider being purchased) ever had. We had the option for unlimited data but not unlimited everything...and until recently we were in the same boat as you. We couldn't upgrade at all without paying full retail upfront. Only difference now is that we can upgrade by paying full retail over 24 months but we still have to pay full retail.