Problem with long distance calling
BrandonH82

Hey there. I wasn't sure where to post this, so I took a guess.

I'm having a problem with calling a friend who is out of state. I live in Illinois and she lives in North Carolina. I try calling her number, but every time I try, it tells me I need to dial an area code, even though I'm already doing that.

I've tried it like "(XXX)XXX-XXXX"

And I've tried it with a 1 in front and with a 0 in front.

Any idea why I can't get it to work. She can call me, but I can't call her. =/

Also, if its of any relevance, I'm on a Motorola Razr Maxx. And it shouldn't be a problem with my plan because I have another friend in Rhode Island who I can call just fine.

EDIT: Also, she has Verizon as well.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Problem with long distance calling
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try deleting the contact from your phone so that it isn't saved there. Then try dialing the phone number as one long string of numbers "XXXXXXXXXX" and see if that will let the call be completed.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Is the person in the NC in a new area code?

0 Likes
BrandonH82

I don't believe so. Is the 336 area code considered new?

Also, @Ann154, I tried removing her from my contacts and trying again and it still didn't work. =/

EDIT: Also, the verizon announcement is "5 switch 95-101"

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want to make sure that your calls go through BrandonH82. Is this the only number that you are having trouble with? Has this number ever been blocked through Call & Message block? Were you able to contact this number with other service? Please let us know! We may need to file a trouble ticket to take a look deeper into this!

Thank you,

LenaA_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Bmgreg

I have the same problem. I am actually living in the 336 area.

I have an iPhone 4s, and this has happened with a couple of people. I've had problems sending messages to one non-iphone user. I cannot call her number either, and never have been able to. We have nothing blocked on either of our accounts.

So, I didnt see this problem come up again until recently. A friend of mine brought up to my attention that he was not able to call me from his iPhone 5c with AT&T. When he called me, it went straight to an error message. When I called him, it said "Welcome to Verizon Wireless. Your call cannot be completed as dialed. Please check the number and try again." and then something about a switch code, "Switch 95-101."

His area code is 336, and mine is 919. He has AT&T and I have Verizon. We both have not blocked each others numbers, for we are still able to text, and have no problem sending iMessages. But we cannot call each other.

PLEASE HELP! I've been trying to figure this out all night long.

0 Likes