Problem with basic use of the english language on your website!
JOEALFADOG
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's amazing to me that a corporation of this size and esteem cannot, apparently, correctly use english to communicate intent on the website.

When changing phone devices, an option is given to choose whether the intent is to replace a phone currently on the network with one that has previously been on the network.

The question is stated in red text  "Are you replacing a phone previously registered on the network". when yes is checked, a drop down of the phones previously registered comes up.

Now follow this,

The statement in red asks a question about the phone you are replacing.

The intent is to identify the phone YOU ARE REPLACING IT WITH.

The text clearly is the opposite, as is the answer to the question, If the user correctly reads, speaks and understands the english language.

If the correct answer to the question is entered, the dialogue simply doesn't work as a different question has been answered. i.e. "are you replacing this phone with a phone previously registered on the network"

Interestingly, the video that is provided in the help files, while showing the screen (with the opposite question)  is narrated with the proper question.

FIX THIS and restore my confidence in you, and save those of us who speak English properly the agony of calling CS, trudging through the awfully slow/inefficient menu and waiting on hold for 15 minutes to resolve a simple hardware change that should take two minutes online.

Who is in charge of this kind of thing? Does anyone proofread the web pages?

Ridiculous nonsense, tired of putting up with it.

-J

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Problem with basic use of the english language on your website!
mama23dogs
Legend

Unfortunately computers are no substitute for human editors.

Spell check cannot fix; there, their and they're or two, to and too; or through and threw (cringe) either. 

These, and other miss spelled words or substituting 'U' for you, or 'UR' for your drive me up the wall.  Texting may spell the death of the English language as we know it. 

For the record, the wording was previously:

Are you activating a phone previously registered on the network? 

This would be more appropriate, but the word 'replacing' was better understood.  Really?  Someone could operate the computer to get to this screen, but not have the literacy to know what 'activating' means.  And if they don't understand that word, am I to believe they understood 'registered'?

If you haven't seen the movie "Idiocracy", add it to your list of apocalyptic nightmare films. 

If we keep the conversation going, it may call attention to the gaff...

JOEALFADOG
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, I'm glad it's not just me!

I hope that someone sees it to hopefully reduce the guile of some future user.

I don't usually pick on those who simply exist as the product of an insufficient level of instruction in the language, but large Fortune 500 companies should really check their syntax for such horrid mis-statements especially on a site that serves the customer with procedural documents.

I guess this is the state of "technical writing" at Verizon, i.e. that it's O.K. to use the opposite of what is intended and they (the customer) will probably eventually catch-on when they realize the text is just a mistake. Since the procedure didn't work properly.

"shudder"

Here's another recent popular nonsense/anti-sense. Using "needs fixed" instead of "needs to be fixed" stated by a candidate for our presidency in a recent debate. Oh, my crying God!

-Joe

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

I agree as a grammar lover they should correct the sentence on the website. It could also be confusing to some. I still don't agree with ending sentences with a preposition like the OP did, but I know many people have progressed past that Latin inspired rule. Like how people are using and progressing using 'they' in singular form.  -cringe- lol

JOEALFADOG
Enthusiast - Level 2

Interesting that per your reply, the original did actually have an acceptable meaning, and that they changed it to result in an opposite of the intent.

This makes it even more comical.

JOEALFADOG
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hmm,

Admittedly, it is probably my error, but I can't find it. I never do this when writing Latin.

Grammar aside for the moment, the real issue here was that the actual meaning was the opposite of the intended meaning.

I'd like someone at Verizon to take ownership and correct this confusing mistake.

'Semper ubi sub ubi"

-J

deloused
Master - Level 3

Oh yes there's a special place in hell for those who use double negatives 🙂

mama23dogs
Legend

danw_vzw

would you bring this to the attention of who ever can fix the website?

Dan_VZ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi JOEALFADOG,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!  I've forwarded this to our My Verizon team and I'll let you know when it's been corrected.

Thanks,

DanW_VZW