Pricing Confirmation of More Everything vs The Verizon Plan: Family Plan w/ 6 lines
racerboy999
Enthusiast - Level 1

I currently have a family plan on the More Everything Plan. I'm currently on a 4gb plan for $60, plus I've somehow added  2 x 1gb promotional data for a grand total of 6gb.

3 lines are eligible for upgrade. The other 3 got iPhone 6's last fall on 2 year plans. I'm paying $40/line access fee ($240).

That's $300 before taxes and fees. (~$330 in NJ)

Here's what I'm trying to figure out:

1) is there any benefit for me to stay on More Everything?

To the best I can tell, the answer is no.

If I switch to the Verizon Plan 6gb, I'd pay $60.

The 3 lines under contract will cost $40 each ($120).

The 3 lines eligible for upgrade will cost $20 each ($60).

We're talking $240 before  taxes and fees, $60 in savings.

Am I missing something here? Others in this board have alluded to an undocumented line discount that gets applied to phones no longer under 2 year contract, but I don't see that reflected in my bill.

2) Traditionally, at the 2 year mark, I was due for a phone upgrade with a $50 discount price. Does this apply anymore? What's the cheapest way to get an iPhone 6s Plus (128gb)?

Again, to the best I can tell, there's no discernible discount available on a new device anymore. No more benefit to holding out for 2 years.

I have a few options:

if I stick on More Everything:

1) Pay full price. $949 + $35 activation fee

2) 2 year contract. $499 + $35 activation fee. (hypothetically this means I'll be paying $40/mo line access fee)

3) Edge. $39, not sure about activation fee, I think $15 line fee (25 off). In addition, I'm not sure how this lives alongside my 2-year plan phones and off contract phones.

if I switch to the Verizon Plan:

1) Pay full price. $949. No activation fee. $20/mo line access fee.

2) Edge. $39, no activation fee. $20/mo line access fee.

So in summary, at least in my case:

1) it seems like a no-brainer to switch to the Verizon Plan. $60 savings/mo. In about 10 more months the 3 lines under contract will reduce their line access chargers to $20 each, so assuming I don't get any new phones or add any new lines, I'd be paying $180 + taxes and fees.

If I were to buy a new phone (outright), I'd pay the full price and I'd have a new device but still pay $20 for that line access fee.

If I were to use edge w/ the Verizon Plan, I'd pay $39/mo for the phone and that'd be added to my monthly fees. Again, my line access fee would be $20.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Pricing Confirmation of More Everything vs The Verizon Plan: Family Plan w/ 6 lines
Weth
Legend

It is available. Call customer service and ask for the month to month promotion.

It shows up as: $25 OFF SMARTPHONE MONTH2MONTH

You may need to push the issue, or ask for someone else. It is there though.

View solution in original post

Re: Pricing Confirmation of More Everything vs The Verizon Plan: Family Plan w/ 6 lines
Tidbits
Legend

If you are out of contract and or on a payment plan the old plan you'd be paying $15 per line instead of $40. Double check your math. If you haven't already added your discounts you should do so for those that are out of contact through my Verizon.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

If you switch to My Verizon plan, you will lose the 2 GB promotional data. So you will have the same amount of data for the same price. The 2 GB promotional data is promotional though and would likely go away at some point anyway.

On the More Everything Plan, you do get a discount, if you ask or look for it on My Verizon online. For you it would only be a $15 discount since you are on the 4 GB plan. If you have 6 GB or more, you get the $25 discount.

A correction on your other items. If you are on More Everything and you buy a phone for full price, you do not pay an activation or upgrade fee. Only if you are getting a new contract do you pay that.

The only other item I would price out is staying with More Everything, moving to 6 GB plan ($80) and having current out of contract phones at $15 access fee, and eventually all out of contract phones at $15/month.

The final on that one is $80 for 6GB plan, and 6 phones at $15/line or $170 -- potentially $10 less.

rcschnoor
Legend

The information Tidbits has provided is not correct. For data tiers UNDER 6 GB(you are on a 4 GB data tier), the month to month discount is only $15 which would bring your monthly line access fee to $25 on your out of contract lines. Of course, this discount does not apply automatically, you either have to call in to ask for it or you can add it within your MyVerizon account. You have to add it for each line currently out of contract.

Additionally, you should think about increasing your data allowance to 6 GB($70 instead of the $60 you are currently paying for 4 GB) for an additional $10 discount on each out of contract line. This would be a NET decrease on your bill of $20($10 increase in data and $10 additional discount on each of your 3 month to month lines).

racerboy999 wrote:

Here's what I'm trying to figure out:

1) is there any benefit for me to stay on More Everything?

To the best I can tell, the answer is no.

If I switch to the Verizon Plan 6gb, I'd pay $60.

The 3 lines under contract will cost $40 each ($120).

The 3 lines eligible for upgrade will cost $20 each ($60).

We're talking $240 before  taxes and fees, $60 in savings.

Am I missing something here? Others in this board have alluded to an undocumented line discount that gets applied to phones no longer under 2 year contract, but I don't see that reflected in my bill.

The answer to THIS question would be YES if you were to increase your data allowance to 6 GB

$70 for data

$15 x 3 line access fees for month to month lines = $45

$40 x 3 line access fees for contract lines = $120

Total = $235 before taxes/fees.

racerboy999 wrote:

2) Traditionally, at the 2 year mark, I was due for a phone upgrade with a $50 discount price. Does this apply anymore? What's the cheapest way to get an iPhone 6s Plus (128gb)?

Again, to the best I can tell, there's no discernible discount available on a new device anymore. No more benefit to holding out for 2 years.

I have a few options:

if I stick on More Everything:

1) Pay full price. $949 + $35 activation fee

2) 2 year contract. $499 + $35 activation fee. (hypothetically this means I'll be paying $40/mo line access fee)

3) Edge. $39, not sure about activation fee, I think $15 line fee (25 off). In addition, I'm not sure how this lives alongside my 2-year plan phones and off contract phones.

New Every 2 has not been around for SEVERAL years which sounds like the $50 discount to which you refer.

1)No activation fee and no upgrade fee on full price purchases.

2)No activation fee and a $40 upgrade fee on contract purchases.

3)No activation fee and no upgrade fee on Edge purchases. $15 line fee IF you increase your data to 6 GB from 4 GB.

IF you were to increase your data allowance to 6 GB, you would be eligible for $25 off your line access fees for the month to month lines. If you keep the 3 lines currently month to month and then add 3 more as the other 3 complete their contracts, that would be a total of 6 lines with $25 discounts on the line access fee for a total discount of $150 off the $240 you are currently paying.

CURRENTLY, with 3 lines on month to month, you would be eligible to pay $235 before taxes and when you added the discounts on the other 3 lines when they became eligible, that would drop to $160($70 for data and $90 for line access fees). If you do nothing else, you should get the discounts for which you are currently eligible added to your account.Smiley Happy

Tidbits
Legend

I saw 6GB a few times. Didn't notice he was on the 4GB plan. Good catch.

racerboy999
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've checked many times - there is no discount on the 3 lines that are eligible for upgrade.Smiley Happy  I've been paying ~$330ish for quite some time.

2 lines were eligible for upgrade in March 2015, the 3rd one was fall 2014. The other 3 are Iphone 6's from last Sept/Oct so still have have a year to go.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

It is available. Call customer service and ask for the month to month promotion.

It shows up as: $25 OFF SMARTPHONE MONTH2MONTH

You may need to push the issue, or ask for someone else. It is there though.