Poor service at O'Hare international airport (60666)
Mval80
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon has by far the best service in the nation. My problem is I switched over my entire family to Verizon because I was sure that the service was better, however it's the worlds worst service at Chicago ohare airport (60666). I looked up local tower sites located in the area and it shows only one!!!!! Meanwhile the competition has over four towers nearby. Is every Verizon customer in this vicinity forced to share service from one tower. It's like 2G speeds maybe even dial-up. I got a brand new iPhone 7 Plus so I'm sure it's not the phone. Verizon this is unacceptable, add more towers to the customers that pay the most for service (your customers).

Labels (1)
Re: Poor service at O'Hare international airport (60666)
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Reliable service is definitely important so I completely understand your concern Mval80. We want to make sure you're enjoying your service with VZW.

What specific issues are you experiencing  (calls, text, data)? Is the issue only while inside the airport?

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Mval80
Enthusiast - Level 1

Data issues are the problem. FaceTime is spotty and any internet use. I'm wondering if it's because there is only one cell tower in the immediate area. Is there anything I can do about this issue?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Chicago O'Hare has an Airport-wide DAS which also covers the jet bridges, and the insides of the planes. You'll see the antennas affixed to the terminals all over the place. The DAS is effectively it's own set of distributed towers which works independent of the towers around the Airport.

Smaller/less Traveled Airports may have a "DAS" which is merely a distributed antenna system repeating a signal from the outside. This can help a lot with keeping the network running more efficient - doesn't do anything about capacity crunches on a certain tower.

The problem with Airports is, you have many devices in such a small area that Wireless can struggle. Another reason why Airport Wi-FI tends to struggle, less so than cellular, to load. Verizon doesn't have the advantage of being able to use as many channels to create "hot spots" in the Airport for service.

I was there last week - Verizon service seemed fine. It definitely varies. On my Note 4, I've seen 100Mbps down, 40Mbps up. My last visit was netting 21Mbps down, 12Mbps up.

Enthusiast - Level 1

I do find it absolutely unacceptable that I experienced horrid cell service while in Chicago O’Hare Airport. I mean really! Service can be had while flying and Verizon you seriously can remedy this on the ground issue! So very frustrating...to say the least!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

12468, we are sorry to see that you have had issues with your service in the Chicago O'Hare Airport in the past. There are many things that can cause service issues even on the ground, 12368. We would still like to investigate this issue further for you. Has this happened only once? When did this happen? Also, what service issues did you experience (calls, texts, or data)?

AnnaG_VZW

0 Likes