Poor phone reception/quality with Droid Turbo
PilotDane
Enthusiast - Level 3

At home I previously had good phone quality with my Casio gZone phone.  I have upgraded to the Droid Turbo and most phone calls have numerous drop-outs during the call.  I have advanced calling turned on and have a LTE signal strength that averages around -118 and -112 is a rarity (I'm at -119 as I type this).  High speed Internet is only available via satellite so a Internet based repeater is not an option.  What options do I have to be able use my phone as a... phone?  My old phone worked great so I assume it is possible but the Droid Turbo is not cutting it.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Poor phone reception/quality with Droid Turbo
PilotDane
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, that covers registering a device with Verizon.  Do you have any recommendations as to choosing a antenna/signal booster.  It appears the only thing Verizon carries might be the Samsung Network Adapter: http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/samsung-network-extender-scs-2u01/

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

PilotDane

I definitely want to ensure you have the service you need! I understand this has started since you activated your new phone. Have you attempted to use it with Advanced calling turned off? Does this change your calling experience at all?

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
PilotDane
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was having poor phone reception when using tradtional calling which prompted me to try advanced calling to see if it would improve.  So, I have poor phone quality with both modes.

When I started typing this post I had 1x -120db and 4g -120db.  Checking a few minutes later I had 1x -120db and 4g -116db but it dropped back to -120db while typing.  We're getting moderate snow & sleet now which is probably making my signal strength now worse than usual.

0 Likes
PilotDane
Enthusiast - Level 3

The phone works elsewhere without problem and my previous gZone flip phone has no trouble with phone calls so I assume the Droid Turbo has poorer reception.  Is there anything that can be done to improve my phone quality at home?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

My apologies for the trouble you're experienced! Your previous phone was a 3G phone and this phone you currently have is a 4G phone. Your particular area may be in a stronger 3G coverage area then 4G. Please verify your settings are correct on your Droid Turbo.

1) Go to Settings.
2) Tap on More.
3) Tap on Mobile Networks
4) Tap on Global Data Roaming access
5) Verify All Access for all trips is enabled, then tap on OK.
6) Then tap on Preferred network type
7) Tap on the LTE/CDMA, then Cancel to go back. (this will fluctuate for best possible signal)
8) Power off fully to reset.
9) Test

Keep us posted! Thanks very much!

KristieQ_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZW Support

0 Likes
PilotDane
Enthusiast - Level 3

Because of the ridiculously high rate Verizon charges for international data roaming I will NOT turn on global data roaming.

I am curious how switching from GLOBAL to LTE/CDMA will improve call quality?  Within the United States wouldn't it automatically use LTE or CDMA, whichever is available or has a stronger signal?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

CDMA is for voice, LTE for data.  Forcing the phone to never use GSM/Global and to use the actual network it's supposed to be on has always worked best for me.  Global is never needed unless out of the country or near borders.  Data roaming is different than Global data roaming of course, and may be needed if you want auto download of MMS while roaming.  Again, I myself, to avoid charges, have disabled any data roaming and Global settings.

0 Likes
PilotDane
Enthusiast - Level 3

There is still no noticeable improvement in my phone reception.  I am still experiencing dropped calls and drop outs during calls.  I have installed the latest software download that was released two weeks ago and have system 21.44.12.  I also have the phone switched to LTE/CDMA.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Also disable Advanced Calling if enabled.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying all those suggestions, PilotDane. Just to confirm, does this only happen while you're at home or around your neighborhood as well? What's your zip code? When you say there's drop outs during the call, can you please describe more about what happens? Does the call remain connected but the audio drops out or does the call itself drop out? Are you using any type of case or hands-free accessories with the new phone?

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes