Poor Signal and phone call quality in Chicago (need tech support right away!)
HCCAUS

I've been using Galaxy Note 5 for about a year now.

My phone is fully updated with what Verizon has sent from the OTA.

Recent days, I'm experiencing very poor signal reception and phone quality.

I use my phone very close to downtown area of Chicago and the symptoms are the following:

1. Very poor signal (LTE, CDMA whatsoever) if I'm inside or get close to the building

2. The phone quality is very poor. I have HD voice enabled and WiFi Calling enabled. My girlfriend is using Verizon also with the same phone and in the same setting as mine but the phone call quality is just awful.

I cannot believe that in the metropolitan area of Chicago (my zipcode is 60657) has this such a very bad phone quality as well as the signal reception.

I'm seriously thinking about switching to other carriers.

Please advise me to get better service that I'm paying for the service, or suggest to the Verizon tech people to get the reception better.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Poor Signal and phone call quality in Chicago (need tech support right away!)
HCCAUS

can't anybody respond to my question please?

0 Likes
Re: Poor Signal and phone call quality in Chicago (need tech support right away!)
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which network mode is the phone set to? LTE/CDMA mode or Global?

Have you replaced the SIM card yet?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
HCCAUS

it is set to Global and no, I did not try replacing the SIM card.

SIM cards affect low/poor reception of the signal? I thought SIM cards were irrelevant but only gives the cellphone number information along with some serial numbers to the Verizon network.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Change the network mode setting to LTE/CDMA mode.

The SIM card can affect the connection as it is the item that facilitates the authentication of the phone with the network. The SIM card can get corrupted and go bad especially if the connection between the phone and the SIM card isn't great.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
HCCAUS

Thank you, Ok I'll set to LTE/CDMA mode and see how it goes.

As far as the SIM card goes, I need to purchase one from the Verizon store offline and change them? Do they let me buy one due to signal reception issue?

0 Likes
HCCAUS

I've found this on the Internet and I quote "As far as I know, when you are in the US there is no difference - your phone uses LTE/CDMA anyway. When you travel out of the country, though, that's when global kicks in - it lets the phone connect to GSM/UMTS networks as well."

But, changing the setting to LTE/CDMA mode make any difference for signal reception still?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes it can make a difference.

The SIM cards are free at the corporate stores.

0 Likes
HCCAUS

Went to the store, got the SIM replaced but still same experience.

Even the staff at the store said that it could be just my location would lack of Verizon signal.

However, this is a bit frustrating since I live in near downtown of Chicago and I had no such signal drops when I had T-Mobile before switching to Verizon.

IMHO the signal strength from the antennas aren't strong enough compared to the other service IDK..

0 Likes