Please stop this spammer!
len5

For the past few months I have been getting spam calls on my verizon wireless cell. They are always from 408 area code and is a recorded message that just says to call this number for personal information. Blocking these numbers hasn't worked since they just use another number the next time. Here are 3 of the #s they've used so far. {edited for privacy}--

Verizon, please do something to stop these spam calls!

thank you

len

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Please stop this spammer!
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

I found this by doing a google search:

{edited for privacy}

You may want to register your number for the Do Not Call List or you can call 888-382-1222 to register to prevent those calls from calling through.

0 Likes
len5

Number has been on the do not call list for 2 years.

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

len5 wrote:

Number has been on the do not call list for 2 years.

Next option would be to change your number if you wish to go that far.

0 Likes
sherambles

I would recommend calling Customer Service and ask to block this number or your alternative is to have them give you an unused cell phone number. I had problems with my first number years ago because I was getting calls from the previous owner's friends, family, and even place of work (apparently she wasn't showing up to work!) and it was out of hand. Literally had her cousin yelling at me one day that it was her number blah blah blah. Crazy people, by the way. Anyway, I digress. Customer Service was extremely helpful and apologetic. They switched my number to an unused number. Sure, I got a couple telemarketer calls but that was it. Though, there was one point I got text spammed by a spammer and CS was also apologetic and removed the charges. The number was also blocked.

0 Likes
Samphire
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not certain these are satisfactory answers.  It feels as if we are on the defensive and the spammers are winning.  The DNC list is apparently poorly enforced or ineffective for some other reason.  This is particularly annoying when applied to text messages where we, as recipients, wind up paying for the spam. 

At this point I'm uncertain what steps are practical as a means of preventing this type of abuse, but I would appreciate a report from Verizon or perhaps all the telecoms assuring us that there is some concern and some constructive steps, whether via technology or law enforcement, are being taken.

0 Likes
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi Samphire,

I understand your concerns (and all forum members) regarding unsolicited calls. While we share your discontent regarding unwanted calls and we offer some options to end these calls, we cannot prevent telemarketers and other companies from calling your number. Please review all the options available for you to minimize unsolicited calls.

1. Ensure your number is register in the National Do Not Call Registry.

2. Use our free feature that allows you to block up to 5 numbers, see details/instruction at this LINK.

3. Add the Usage Controls feature to your account, which allows you block up to 20 numbers including private and restricted.

4. Change your phone number.

AntonioC_VZWSupport

Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
emergingdzns
Enthusiast - Level 1

Antonio,

Your options are useless. The NDNC list is pointless. Scammers don't check the list first. Both my phone and my wife's phone just got scammer texts at the exact same time from two different numbers (same exact message). I shouldn't have ANY limitation to the number of phone numbers I can block, nor should I have to pay for such EVER. As it is, I pay about $300 a month for Verizon service, which is higher than I've paid at any other provider.

I can't just change my number either because I have a business I run through my cell phone.

For all those out there reading this, think about this possibility... Could Verizon possibly be supporting or encouraging these scammers? After all, Verizon gets the revenue from text messages as well as all the people who turn to paying for the option of blocking all these numbers. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they just open the doors for this activity. It only benefits them. I think we need a big push from Verizon customers to demand better controls from Verizon.

If I hadn't just switched over to Verizon a few months ago, I'd happily go back to AT&T as I never had this kind of garbage with them. I only switched in the first place because of lack of signal on AT&T that has now apparently been fixed.

emergingdzns
Enthusiast - Level 1

To everyone that has experience spam TEXT messages (not phone calls), I got this from Verizon support this morning:

You may report the spam message by following the steps below:

1. Please forward the suspected SPAM message to 7726.

Note: There is no charge for this text message.

Result: You will receive a free text message requesting the identity of the "From" address on the suspected SPAM message.

2. Please reply with the "From" address.

Note: This message is also free.

Result: You will receive a free text, "Thank you".

3. The investigation will begin the same day the messages are sent to the short code, but you will not receive any further updates.

0 Likes
tbell1776

Spammers pay Verizon and other carriers to withhold features that would allow you to block area codes or specified prefixes.  That is why neither Verizon nor any other carrier has not offered a solution to these problems in the past 20 years.

0 Likes