Re: Please help, Verizon is charging me for a returned device that came up as an empty box
dsauch

I actually have access to a high resolution weights at medical lab and weighted the phone, the numbers about match yours:

without battery weight 132.83g  = 0.292lb

with battery weight      187.25g  = 0.412lb

I have also found a tracking number of the package sent to me as replacement and here are the measurements as recorded when it was outgoing:

Dimensions 8x6x4 in

Total shipment weight 1 lbs / 0.5 kgs

The same box returning to verizon recorded as:

9x6x4 in

0.3lb

So the box became larger. There were some manuals/warranty/instructions in the box when it came in. They attributed somewhat to the weight I am sure. But I think its pretty clear that original weight was over-inflaighted and neigher weight nor measurements are exact.

I am waiting for the end of vzw/fedex investigation for my next move.

The fact that no one had an idea to put a log into some database that package came in "empty" when the package was actually received stinks... The only record I am told was made yesterday.

0 Likes
Re: Please help, Verizon is charging me for a returned device that came up as an empty box
Not applicable

YOUR mistake here was communicating verbally.

Such matters -- all matters really -- ought be conducted using paper mail.

0 Likes
dsauch

got a text message today (saturday) that "the defective device you recently returned has been received".

i wonder where was it hiding - may be it walked on its own after falling out of the box...

Lets see if any of the reps who promised to call me with update will do so.

I must say all of the reps I dealt with were very courteous and helpful to the best of their ability.

0 Likes
Not applicable

dsauch wrote:

got a text message today (saturday) that "the defective device you recently returned has been received".

i wonder where was it hiding - may be it walked on its own after falling out of the box...

Lets see if any of the reps who promised to call me with update will do so.

I must say all of the reps I dealt with were very courteous and helpful to the best of their ability.

Ha ha I have read some cell phones are shy, so they hide from the warehouse clerks. This is probably what happened with your phone. But many times they come out of hiding to get a charge.

Glad it worked out for you.

0 Likes
jgorm
0 Likes
Not applicable

This seems to happen WAY TOO OFTEN.  Surely, there is some way customers can protect themselves, but I'll be darned if I know how.  I think if I ever return a phone I will use my own shipping method, pay for it, and insure the package for the full value of a new phone.

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

One way to deal with this and I know it is too late for some, is to NOT use the shipping label that Verizon sends to you as it is a prepaid label at a calculated weight. Pay the 5 or 6 dollars out of pocket and send it by FedEx on your own dime. This will give you many things that the Verizon issued label will NOT give you.

1) it will give you the control over seeing who signed for it and when

2) It will give you an exact weight as handed to the FedEx Representative

3) if something like this happens you file the claim directly with FedEx (as Verizon rarely will do so)

4) if FedEx weighs the box at anything and Verizon received it at a lower weight, the Insurance will kick in to cover you, and then FedEx will work with Verizon and the FBI in some cases to find out where the theft was.

B33
Legend

Hey Jake thanks for that info i got a shipping Label from Verizon when my Droid Maxx was shipped to me back last year and that's what i probably would have done was Use it if i needed to Send it back..

This might Help allot a people if they see if they Visit on here and see your Post.. Thanks b 

0 Likes
Not applicable

never ever arbitrate the case in 90% of the time is against the customer. Take them to small claims court in your local jurisdiction. When you file you need no attorney. in your filing ask for that $800+ dollars verizon is asking for. Include the filing fees for the court case, include the money amount for time loss from work at a dollar value per hour, day etc.

Make sure you have all the documentation of phone calls and letters between you and verizon. be exact and precise.

You will have to prove your case, but verizon will have to physically prove the carton was empty. They won't be able to.

Secondly send a letter disputing the charges above what you normally pay. Send this certified return receipt requested and get a receipt for that letter from the post office and keep the certified green card when its returned to you. Include this $5-$6 for the letter onto your court filing.

Verizon will offer to settle. if you settle make sure the phone cost is totally removed from your account, and from any and all credit bureaus that verizon may have sent negative information to. Get the settlement in writing only no verbal agreements. If no letter is received by the time your case is ready to be heard then let verizon come into court.

X101436
Enthusiast - Level 2

I need help too!  I'm faced with the same issue.  We shipped a phone back that neither the post office nor Verizon can locate (the post office has no record of the package).  I've called Verizon about 6 times to try to straighten out and they are useless.  They are supposed to follow up with me but never call back.

0 Likes