Pay off your Device Payment Plan - Lose MORE Everything Line Discount......... MAD!
kenzietech
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, I just found out an infuriating tidbit of information this afternoon....

I had a discount on my line with Verizon.  We have two lines on the MORE everything plan, with a $25 discount on each line (off contract lines).  I added an iPhone device payment plan to my line, adding ~$28/mo to my plan.  This worked fine, until I had issues with the phone, and wanted to get rid of it.

I paid off the remainder of the value of the phone on my plan, so I could sell it, and look to switch to a different Android device.  After paying it off, I check my bill, and BAM!  $25 discount no longer present on my line!

I contacted Verizon, and discover that it's no longer a discount on your line because you're not subsidized anymore.  Instead, whether it be on-contract with MORE everything, or a device payment plan, it's a $40/mo line access charge, PERIOD.  Apparently when I purchased my iPhone, I apparently lost my previous "non-subsidized-line discount", and instead it was replaced with a "device payment plan discount".  After the phone was paid off, I no longer had an active device payment plan, and WHAM!  An additional $25/mo now on my line, going straight to Verizon's pockets.

What does this mean?  It means that all the money I spent to pay off the device was a complete waste.  I could've kept paying the device, month to month, and maintained the $25/mo line discount.  But, since I paid it off, I got charged an additional $25/mo.  That is insanity, and makes zero sense.  I've called Verizon multiple times, talked to multiple reps, all to the same dead end - "There's no discount that we can apply to your MORE everything plan anymore.  You are welcome to switch to the new 'Verizon Plan' [and pay us slightly less money, for less than half the data you're currently getting!"  Apparently, they discontinued the monthly $25 BYOD discount on 3/9/16.  After that, you finish your payment plan?  You pay full line access charges.

Needless to say, I'm furious that I lost the discount.  Had I known that they would have replaced my "non-contract" $25/mo discount with a "DPP" $25/mo discount, I would've just bought the darn thing via Apple directly!  Then at least now I'd still have the same "non-contract", BYOD discount.  But now, all is lost.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Pay off your Device Payment Plan - Lose MORE Everything Line Discount......... MAD!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly don't want to lose you! The Verizon Plan would be a great option if you're looking to receive a discount for being out of contract. The line access of $20.00 vs the in contract of $40.00 is a great benefit. On most occassions the overall plan ( data ) has more value.
YosefT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Pay off your Device Payment Plan - Lose MORE Everything Line Discount......... MAD!
tailynn1977
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon wants everyone on the Verizon plan so they don't have to worry about 2 year contracts. If you go to the new plan you can pay $20.00 a month when your device payment is up. Not as good but not much worse either and you still don't have to pay $40.00 a month for a paid for line. Or you can sell your current phone and get a new payment agreement....either way you won't have to pay full line access.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

You have to ask for the $25 Smartphone Month2Month feature to be added.

I have a line that is completely out of contract and does not have a DPP on it. I get this discount since it is not in contract.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kenzietech the loss of a discount is never a good thing. I apologize if there was a misunderstanding. Have you considered another device payment plan since you are in need of a new phone? This would not only get you the phone you want but also add back the discount.
DeloresK_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

kenzietech, please accept my apology. I didn't know that this discount was taken away.

@deloresk_vzw,

The point is that VZW took away a very big incentive. They aren't losing anything by taking away this discount. Plus now they are going to charge a upgrade fee for buying the device at full retail? I may be switching from Verizon. I work hard for my money and I no longer want to give it to Verizon.

0 Likes
kenzietech
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't want another device payment plan.

Your phones are insanely overpriced.  I would like to buy a Nexus 6P, or a Moto X Pure, and bring it to the network.  But now, with your removal of the standard, "non-subsidized" line-access discount, that becomes idiotic, since I'll be paying you an additional $600 over the course of two years, for the privilege to do so!  No thanks!

I agree, @sprmankalel, it's ridiculous for them to have taken it away.  Especially with the basic fact that it's a $25 subsidy value on the line.  Or at least, that was the original intention!  I had contacted them to try to get the monthly $25/off promo, but they said that has since expired. Smiley Sad

I know I can switch to the new "Verizon Plan", but that's a huge cut to my overall data package, and I don't want to do that.  I shouldn't have to! 

Stephen59
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just discovered this myself and am [removal required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service] at VZW. I always knew they were the devil and its why I left them previously. We have 6 lines on our account so this change from More Everything 10GB to the Verizon Plan is a significant monthly increase for me. If they planned on doing away with the MONTH2MONTH discount they should have notified their customers. Very sleezy tactics as usual VZW! Until this happened I was content to remain with them. We will be shopping ATT in the near future now, esp. with the nice incentives they are offering now.

btw, the story I was given was the existing lines with MONTH2MONTH are grandfathered in but lines that were on the EDGE payment program cannot get the discount when the device is paid off, regardless of what we were told when we went on the EDGE payment program. Ridiculous. If the account has this discount for 4 lines is makes no sense to disallow it for all lines.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Stephen59, we’d never want for you to leave us. We want for you to have stellar service at a great value. The Verizon Plan is a great plan that will help reduce the line access fee when a line is on the device payment plan or out of contact. Here are more details http://vz.to/1LBVmzO.

ZangY_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I will add the two recent decisions of removing the discount when there is no subsidy (month 2 month) AND the decision to charge an upgrade fee for a phone that is paid at full retail price is a very poor Verizon anti-customer decision. There is no way to justify other than money grab. I am disappointed.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

You know that I am usually pro-Verizon but these 2 decisions are enough to make me get rid of all mobile carriers. I disagree with these changes and hopefully they will reconsider by the time it affects me.