One bar, sometimes two, sometimes 1X - What gives?
Dld78
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been a Verizon customer for well over 10 years.  The last seven of those years I've lived in a home in Derry, NH. When I moved here, I had exceptional phone service. I never had a dropped call, never problems with others hearing me, no issues at all.  I had several bars of service consistently.  Over time that eroded to occasional dropped calls, then consistently dropped calls, then steady calls from outside the home, then dropping calls even from outside. Now, just as I'm sitting here at my kitchen table working, my phone has gone from 1 bar, to 2 bars, to 3 bars, back down to 1.  Sometimes it even drops to 1x.  This happens ALL the time.  I cannot have a phone conversation without the call dropping, or the other person not being able to hear me in spite of me being able to hear them.  The same is true from my office in Boston - I have to go outside and stand on my hands to get reception. Seven years ago my bill was about $50.  Now I pay $170 a month and I can't even have a conversation for more than 15-20 seconds without some issue popping up.  I've had it.  I've complained about this before, and I'm complaining again.  I've heard it all - reset network connections, restart the phone, try going outside, etc.  I work from home several days a week and I need reliable service.  My cell bill is high enough that it's criminal to expect me to also take on an additional static line in my home because I can't count on this one.

Frankly, for $170 a month, I should have crystal clear calls from a lead coffin if that's where I choose to be.  This is unacceptable and I want something done about it now.  I see you have network extenders available.  I'm already paying for service.  Why should I be expected to shell out hundreds more on an additional tool to get the service I AM ALREADY PAYING FOR.  When the Verizon Bill comes due each month, I grit my teeth and resent paying that bill.  What am I paying for?  Am I paying just to carry around a phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: One bar, sometimes two, sometimes 1X - What gives?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Have you tried getting a new SIM card? Are you using the same phone from 10 years ago? What device is it? Whats your zip code?

0 Likes
Dld78
Enthusiast - Level 2

Apple iphone 6!  New in December.  I've had these problems for years though - Verizon just keeps dancing around the issue.  What I'd like is for them to offer an extender free of charge to see if that would even help.  I've read complaints from others that even with an extender, their service has deteriorated.  I'm not willing to invest in one until I know it will work; actually, I don't think I should have to invest in one at all. I think they should be proactively offering them to customers whose service has worsened over the years.  Why should I pay more to get the service I was promised and once had?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You deserve the best service, DId78. Let's get to the bottom of what's happening. What zip code is this happening in? Does anyone else have the same issue in your location? Is LTE enabled for voice and data, or just data?

LynnD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Dld78
Enthusiast - Level 2

03038  My husband is a customer on my account and he has issues, too.

0 Likes
scarlo

Dld78,

Completely different state, but having exact same issue.  Used to love Verizon coverage.  Now over last 3-4 months things have gotten materially worse, to the point where I am seriously considering changing providers.  Dropped calls very common, bad reception etc.... same on my wife's phone.  Both iPhone 6's, but wasn't this bad when we first got them.  What gives guys?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

The extender will only help with phone calls. It won't provide you with 4G service to use with your data. In which case my suggestion is to use a free app to make free phone calls over wi-fi; assuming you have a good wi-fi connection which is needed for an extender anyway.

Verizon will usually discount the extender for you if you've been complaining about lack of service for years and have opened a ticket for them to come out and investigate the towers.

I've had great success getting on Chat with them about lack of service. They sent someone out within 24 hours and they reported back to me what the issue was. How many service tickets have you opened?

0 Likes
Dld78
Enthusiast - Level 2

My main concern was conducting calls from home, which was becoming impossible to do. After I made another complaint by phone, Verizon agreed that the situation was unacceptable and sent me a network extender free-of-charge. The extender has worked brilliantly - I can make and receive calls without problems - and I am extremely grateful.  I wish it hadn't involved years of dissatisfaction and an erosion of trust, but in the end, the company did come through and I have to give them credit for that.

0 Likes