OUTAGE 6-01/2010 Yorktown, Mohegan Lake,Crompond NY
cfw0610

Yesterday (6/01/2010) I reported an outage affecting parts of the town of Yorktown Heights, NY (particularly sections of the Mohegan Lake, NY area). I use a Motorola Droid.

As of now, 6/02/2010 at 11:05 a.m. this has not been resolved.

We had a bad thunderstorm yesterday (6/1) afternoon.  After that, in my home, where I have ALWAYS received strongest signal (consistent 4-5 bars) signal dropped to 0-1 bar with continuous switches from 3g to 1x. Impossible to place outgoing calls; data connection extremely erratic, etc.

Interestingly, when I opened Google Maps and kept GPS disabled (so that it would rely on cell tower fix) -- it gave me a location of being in Garrison,NY -- which it has never done before (it always had reported me as being in Mohegan Lake, NY (and it always showed me as being off of Lexington Avenue close to its intersection with RT. 35/202).  So I know that the closest tower is not functioning properly !!  I have an older VZW device which also lacked signal within my home (so I know there is nothing wrong with my Droid).

I called VZW last evening and reported this problem.  After calling VZW support -- I drove around my local area and was able to receive a good signal in several other spots not near my home (for example at the Cortlandt Town Center on Rt. 6 in the area bordering Mohegan Lake/Cortlandt Manor, NY -- the signal strength was 3-4 bars with good data speeds,etc...)

I hope this issue is resolved soon.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: OUTAGE 6-01/2010 Yorktown, Mohegan Lake,Crompond NY
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

cfw0610 wrote:

Follow up to my prior post.

An aside -- several of the cell providers in my area share towers (lease them).  It just so happens that my son has a pre-paid T-Mobile phone which also has been having issues since Tuesday. He called T-Mobile today and, unlike VZW's customer service was given an accurate and truthful explanation:  T-Mobile told him that 2 local towers were out since and because of the storm -- He was even given their geographic location ! and told an ETA for repair.  They didn't hem and haw and make up stories -- they told him what was wrong, where, and when it would be fixed.  That's the way to treat customers.

You have presented a very interesting series of events.....what was the ETA given for repair?  And who was doing the repair work?  Verizon?  T-Mobile?  Some other company?  Perhaps Verizon IS in the dark or has little to no control of the actual repair process if they are simply one of the "lessees" of the tower(s) in question.  It still seems they should have the same information as the other providers in the area, and giving YOU the runaround is not right. 

Keep us posted.....I'm curious to see how this all resolves!

PS - Many years ago in my college days I would drive the Taconic Parkway to and from home upstate to Stony Brook  - and we'd spend summer weekends at my aunt & uncle's place on Lake Mahopac - beautiful, beautiful country!  And I loved driving the Taconic - so much prettier (and cheaper) than the Thruway!!!

0 Likes